Some info and do's and don'ts about contests

Ok,
I wanted to do Jayyo’s thing but specificly with contests, as there are a few contests that are coming up(DXL,BLC,Worlds,etc…), I hope this is ok with Jayyo!

Do:
What to bring:

Your whole collection.
It’s always good to have your whole collection with you at any gathering, contest, or anywhere you will meet other yoyoers. You never know if someone will want to trade with you. Basicly bring your case if you have one, in your case make sure to have extra response, lots of extra sting and anything you might or will need during a contest.

Lots of money.
Make sure to bring lots of money too. Someone might also be selling something at a great price and you’re a few dollars away. Also, if you ever want to buy something you know will be sold there, make sure to have all the money it will cost!. If you think you will sell thet DM for $20 and have enough money to get that Cream now, don’t bring enough money that you will add the $20 to and then have enough money for the Cream. BAD IDEA. Chances are you will get very dispointed and not be able to buy your Cream because someone changed their mind about the DM.

A high quality camera
Always try to bring the best camera you have. You may want to take pictures of something amazing or want to film some things to remember the contest you went to. Film some freestyles too, your video may just be the only one of that competitor and you will be appreciated for filming it, but a tip: if your camera isn’t very good in quality, don’t bother filming many freestyles, as Jayyo said, people would rather not see a video, than see one in bad quality.

A safe place to keep everything you bring
Let it be your yoyo case, a backpack, a suitcase, always bring some place too keep all of your belongings.
Chances are you will lose something if you find a place for things at the contest.

Anything you think you will need.
If I didn’t say anything you think you will need, bring it.
These are just a few things that are good to take to a contest.

Don’t

Don’t bring 1 or 2 of your favorite yoyos, you will very likely get bored of those yoyos and want to play with one you left at home. You also might want to trade one you left at home and not have it there. These are a few reasons to bring your whole collection.

As I said before, you shouldn’t bring all the money you think you will spend, and even more importantly, this example I gave earlier:

Also, if you ever want to buy something you know will be sold there, make sure to have all the money it will cost!. If you think you will sell thet DM for $20 and have enough money to get that Cream now, don’t bring enough money that you will add the $20 to and then have enough money for the Cream. BAD IDEA. Chances are you will get very dispointed and not be able to buy your Cream because someone changed their mind about the DM.

Don’t film all the freestiles you can and put them on YouTube with bad quality, we would rather not see it if it is in bad quality.

Never try to find all the pockets you can and keep yoyos and materials in there. you will likely lose something and your items may also get stolen.

Symply some tips.
Remember, you never need to compete when you go to a contest. A lot of people go there for the feeling of having a lot of having a lot of yoyoers around you. It is always fun to simply go to a contest for having yoyoers around you and mayybe try out or buy yoyos that you are really interested in on countless forums and review sections.

As Jayyo also said, always have a freestyle planned before going to a contest (if you plan to compete). Never go to a contest and think you will pick up tricks there. Also never try to make up tricks while on stage.

And the best tip I can give you is: HAVE FUN!!! If you do compete, never overreact about any mess-ups or mistakes, you can’t have a perfect freestyle, and always smile while performing, if you don’t choose to smile, at least look at the crowd and try to put on a good show, judges ussually don’t only judge on tricks.

Well, that’s it, I am not trying to copy Jayyo with this AT ALL.I made this to help first contest attenders and I truly hope you have fun at any contests you go to!

6 Likes

Good guide! Good Post! I am giving you a Thank!

Man, i really want a case, but I can’t find any in singapore.

Thanks for the part about the quality of the video. I hate to watch lousy quality freestyles on youtube. Thanks for all the tips ;D

Great guide, everyone should see it! it helped me cause im going to the dxl.

BUMP
I thought more people should see this.

You don’t need to Bump it if its on the same day :wink:

Oh, soory, but I made this at Pacific time, so the time that shows up is 3 hours later.
I really made it at 9:30- about 10:00 yesterday.

What if you have hundreds of yoys like grant johnson? Lol…you bring like 300 yoyos with you…

I will asumm(spelling?) Grant Johnson has more than one of every yoyo, so bring one of each if that is the case(unless you are doing a style that requires two yoyos).

Ok thats better lol.

Cool, very good guide.

Thanks for the tips…

Bump, more people shouldsee this. :slight_smile:

Cool. Although I only have 3 yoyos and no case. (2 that work)