Cake’s String Reviews

last review before worlds! i’ll be there, come say hi :people_hugging:

HKMT Hajime || B- (80/100)

This string is fairly rough, with a fat thickness to it that doesn’t really overdo itself. The loose wind and tactile feel of the twists in the string get lost when you play, so it ends up feeling like a straight roughness (which gets more rough when broken in). The slacks feel amazing, very open and solid with a bit of heft and speed that doesn’t feel like it’s hand-holding you. Whips are moderately fast for 100% polyester and just feels good combined with the string weight.

It ages slower than bulk poly, and by the hour it plays very close to how it felt brand new, besides more roughness and ever so slight fraying. Because of how minimal performance changed, the durability ranking is quite high. The tension holding is fantastic too, which is another mark of high quality. Lastly, my only complaint with the consistency of the string is how loose the slack can feel sometime. I have a feeling it’s a skill issue on my end, and it doesn’t actively hinder any performance, so I’m still viewing it positively. The score would be so much higher if it wasn’t for the comfort factor, so sorry. Overall amazing string, and I’m so happy to see that HKMT never disappoints. I have no clue how they don’t make meh strings, but i’m happy they don’t. If you can, try it out. $15 for 20 of them is a solid price. Stats below!

Durability 30 min (4.5)
Durability 1 hr (4.5)
Personal Thickness Feel (2.5)
Whip Feel Break-In (4.5)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4)
Softness during break-in (1.5)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (4.5)
Total: 40 x 2 = 80, 80 = B- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

10 Likes