Cake’s String Reviews

back on it!

HKMT Ayumu || A- (90/100)

I did NOT expect this to be an A, mainly because im not a fan of the worn feel near the end, but WOW

First impressions, its loosely wound and slightly soft, where the threads kind of blend into each other to create a nice, slight plush. It doesn’t lose its softness at all by 30 minutes, and it always has a subtle stiffness to it. Binds are amazing and about normal thickness, bit less than OT Normal i think? Slacks are light, fluffy, very open, and full of flight while simultaneously maintaining a presence in the hands and when making contact. Whips aren’t fast by any means, but more controlled. Both of these performance feels are the kind that compliments technical skill very well, but don’t supplement any skill. Maybe the white color of the string is helping me, but the string seems like a carefully crafted blank easel for you to make your own creative tricks. Very artsy! I’m a HUGE fan.

While the string starts feeling a little dirty and slightly rougher by the hour (that’s the worn in feel), the performance stays the same. The tension barely builds up and the consistency is perfection. Being able to pull off minimal performance change on white polyester string is very impressive. This is a string with no bells and whistles, just quality polyester made to fit you personally. If you love the worn string feel, this is that and More. Amazing stuff. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (5)
Durability 1 hr (4) aging like fine wine
Personal Thickness Feel (5)
Whip Feel Break-In (4)
Whip Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (4.5)
Slack Feel 1 hr (4.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4.5)
Softness during break-in (4)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (5)
Total: 45 x 2 = 90, 90 = A- graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

15 Likes