Cake’s String Reviews (String Saturday)

review time! this was sent in by the fabulous @MarkD, thanks again :heart_hands: mk1 is one of my favorite companies, hope everyone’s enjoying their bathys and brexias

Fox Tails || D+ (68/100)

photo taken from @foxtails_yoyostring on instagram

I’m gonna be honest, this string did not feel like it was for me right off the bat. It feels scaley, has a super tight wind, and has a weird feeling when you bind, like there’s only either too little string or too much and it snaps back at it. This is very yoyo and pad dependent though, so don’t pay too much attention to it. It wasn’t “soft” like how some other strings are, but it was fairly good feeling, just different. REALLY different, like the string was thawing out. Slacks felt somewhat hefty, but moved so fast i would forget how thick it felt when it would touch me. I don’t know if it’s nylon, but it is VERY FAST, and while it’s not my personal style, i’ll commend it on being fun to use when my technique was down. Whip and slack feeling did not change, but how fast the string would move in the air messed with certain tricks that involved 3d slack elements. Whips specifically were CRAZY fast, and i struggled hitting basic 1.0 hooks, brent stoles, and 1.5 hooks given how violently whippy the string was. I’m finally learning negative hooks, and this string seems just a bit overtuned for those too. Consistently was about average and the tension holding was very manageable, it just builds up fast. Overall, pretty good string but it’s too uncomfortable for me. A review like this shows a flaw in my system, since nylon (or whatever this is) takes a few hours to fully break in, i only use it for an hour, and this string was BRAND new. I have lots of respect for the colorways though, one of the best i’ve seen. Stats below.

Durability 30 min (5) nope
Durability 1 hr (5) nope
Personal Thickness Feel (1.5) yuck
Whip Feel Break-In (3.5) so whippy it’s bad
Whip Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Slack Feel Break-In (3.5) fast and hefty, but super light w style, can’t really feel where it is bc
Slack Feel 1 hr (3.5)
Tension Hold over 1 hour overall (4)
Softness during break-in (2)
Overall consistency over 1 hour (2.5)
Total: 34 x 2 = 68, 68 = D+ graded based on letter system (A: 100-90, B: 89-80, C: 79-70, D: 69-60, F: 60<)

6 Likes