Cadence and Cadence ES fragility?

So a couple days ago while I was using my ES, it hit the ground decently hard. I’ve had other yoyos hit the ground much harder and be fine and there was only minor body damage, so I didn’t think anything of it until I threw it right after and was greeted with a powerful pulsating vibe. Vibe that is felt a lot during play, and easily visible by looking at it as well. I figured I’d cut my losses and use it as a beater.

Last night, I was using my OG Cadence. I missed a laceration and it gently kissed the floor. No body damage at all, really didn’t hit the ground very hard. I’ve had yoyos do this exact same thing literally hundreds of times and be completely fine, bi-metals included. It too developed a good amount of pulsating vibe. Not quite as bad as the ES, but can be felt on the string and lots on grinds.

I’m not too picky about vibe, but I’m really taken back by how fragile these two yoyos were. Both went from being really smooth to vibey off of one collision with the ground. The ES I was less surprised about since it hit the ground pretty hard, but I’m fairly blown away by the vibe the OG Cadence developed from its very minor collision.

Has this happened to anyone else, or am I two for two on bad eggs? Are all SF yoyos this fragile? I have some statements that I might only play over grass if that’s the case haha. @sfyoyos can you guys shed any light on this?

I still love and plan on using the SF stuff, I’m just curious if I need to be extra super careful with these compared to other yoyos. Thanks guys.

2 Likes

Sadly I have never had any SF yoyos, but that is either two options: a bad design in terms of fragility, or you just were unlucky. I have hit my Shutter WA few times on the floor and still no vibe. I am sure it isnt due to a bad aluminium quality…but in case everyone is facing this it might be due to very thin walls…or a bad design.

3 Likes

I’m assuming it has to do with the short axle of the Cadence? I’m not sure.

I wouldn’t have made a post if it had only introduced slight vibe, but both times a lot of vibe was introduced. So much so that if I wanted to resell my ES, I’d probably have to list for $10 or so. People on the BST really seem to dislike vibe.

Have you tried to tune it?Maybe that will work.

1 Like

I’ve tried that with absolutely no luck :/. Unfortunately it seems like there was structural damage.

I’d try replacing/tuning the axle… at least for the ES, a hard hit could have messed with it.

1 Like

It’s also possible it is because the weight is pushed out so far because it is a wide yo-yo. That makes it super stable when it’s perfectly balanced but I think it makes more susceptible to vibe when it isn’t

3 Likes

No luck with tuning, but I may try replacing. I’ve looked over it and it seems fine, which leads me to believe it has to do with the guts, but based on how cheap axles are I’ll give it a try

1 Like

Well, I think it is worth a try…don’t you have other cadences?You can try and see. Also…when a yoyo is vibe damaged usually you cannot tell the difference visually.

I’ve tried tuning it plenty is what I’m saying. I consider myself pretty good at tuning yoyos and it hasn’t helped any.

I only have the two I’m speaking of currently, but I have others on the way being shipped.

I’m not sure that usually you can’t tell the difference visually. It seems like body damage i.e dings and marks are common if a yoyo was damaged to the point of developing vibe.

3 Likes

I hope it is just the axled and you can enjoy them smoothly. Good luck haha

1 Like

Thanks man lol

1 Like

Probably the axle and not the body, i mean, 7068 is really strong

My gtx got the same axle and its still pretty smooth, and thats a 6061 bi metal

I think you might have been unlucky. My cadence es came off the string over tile and skidded around for a while. It has zero string vibe and a little finger nail vibe on the rims. I’m not sure about other sf yoyos but I think a few light dings on the statements would be fine. The only thing I can think of to fix your cadence would be to swap the axle.

1 Like

i think tile is better than wood floor. i dont know why, but tile has not damaged my yoyos that much. my roof is more dangerous

It’s interesting you say that, because I’ve ruined a GTX the exact same way :joy:. I’ll try replacing the axle, hopefully that will help

That’s balls, man.

1 Like

I’ve had a streak of unluckyness, but I’m hoping to turn that around :joy:

1 Like

I remember when we beat the living CRAP out of that MagicYoyo N12 with a hammer, then when that didn’t work, we started throwing it as hard as we could (on the string, mind you) into concrete I was really struck with how hard it was to get significant vibe!

6 Likes

That was an awesome day for yoyo science :clap:

3 Likes