Bryan Figueroa Forum Chat AMA and GIVEAWAY Wed to Friday (1/5 to 1/7)!

Next question is possibly a 6 part question. From 0A to 5A, omitting those that don’t bring you joy, what is your favorite trick to execute in each style? No clicks, no likes, no algorithms, just the best internal feels.

11 Likes

How long have you been competitive yoyoing, how long into competition before you got your first sponsor and did you ever take a break since then?

5 Likes

All my past signatures have been words in Spanish - Fiesta / Aire / so I wanted to keep that theme going
I usually try to pick words that people might know from various other places that way it’s not just a random word they don’t know. I had the idea to name a yo-yo Trueno for a long time (2006) but at the time Fiesta and Aire didn’t feel like the name fit the yo-yo. It wasn’t until we started to prototype Trueno that the name really came into play. I love Trueno because it means Thunder in Spanish which is a powerhouse of destruction. The name is also well known because it’s used in Initial D one of my favorite animes.

11 Likes

I started playing in 2005, I won nationals in 2007 and also joined Team YoYoJam. I still plan on competing but with Covid no contests have happened.

9 Likes

1a or 4a which do you find it harder to make new tricks. And which do you do if in relaxing mood just to have fun?

4 Likes

What are some of the more unique or interesting aspects of the Japanese yoyo community that you enjoy? Assuming your work with JT and time spent there has given you a broader picture of their scene.

From my limited experience on social media I notice the trend of Japanese players playing a more diverse set of styles than the American/European 1A focus, but I’m not sure if that’s just a personal anecdote.

7 Likes

What was your first yoyo?

6 Likes

Ok last one. You seem like an incredibly reserved guy, and the devil-may-care attitude makes for some amazing trick videos (and makes the awesome tricks you do seem effortless in the best way). Do you find yourself ever turned off by social media and its constant need for attention?

7 Likes

0A - Shoot the moon / kickflip
1A - Rancid Milk / Green Triangle
2A - Tangler
3A - korokoro
4A - Shot the moon regen
5A - Bee Sting

12 Likes

Im not sure where my style and rhythm come from it’s something that kinda just grew into what it is now. But maybe some of it comes from competing in 4A and learning that mistakes happen and to not let it get to you.

6 Likes

4A is much harder to make up tricks. 1A is just more accessible and easier to create new stuff in. With 4A creating new stuff means dropping and chasing the yoyo. Plus you need much more room to play 4A than 1A

6 Likes

Im really proud of my worlds performance in both 2011 and 2012

10 Likes

Final question (that’s also barely a question).

Will we ever see an Unknown edition 4A yoyo besides the mod44? The metal hubs on JTs newer 4A yoyos seem perfect for another cool Unknown design.

6 Likes

I had a SuperYo Cruiser in a drawer but I never really threw it i consider the Kickside my first yoyo.

8 Likes

UN Edition TRUENO - Confirmed

10 Likes

Japan is very different than other areas when it comes to yoyoing. You are right that they do focus on the other styles just as much as 1A. I think they respect and appreciate the other styles because at the end of the day its all yoyoing. I also remember Hiro saying that “everybody can do 1A” and that players who play other styles develop a better form of 1A.

10 Likes

I do have 1 more question… What do you want to see different in the yoyo community? Something as a collective we can all change or out effort into for the better

Thanks for taking the time to answer my dumb questions

3 Likes

Have you ever gotten super stumped trying to design a throw but not having it come out the way you want it to?

5 Likes

Who is someone you admire in yoyoing?

4 Likes

What is your favorite throw for casual play and why do you personally enjoy it ??

4 Likes