Broyo13's Dv888 Review and Comparison

Broyo13’s YYF Dv888 YoYo Review and Comparison

Background

This is the first review in a 4-part series I will be writing in the next few days. I will be writing about the Dv888 (obviously), the Dingo, the Beysick and the Protostar. My name is Mark and I am 13 years old. I got into yoyoing in January and have been fairly obsessed since. In terms of my skill level, I can do pretty much all the advanced and expert tricks in Andre Boulay’s tutorials, and about 10-20 other tricks from other sources (mostly Highspeedyoyo.com.) I have had my Dv888 for about a month.

Note: I dont have a camera available so I will upload pictures in the next few days.

Introduction

The Dv888 is the first yoyo in YoYoFactory’s affordable line called FundaMetals. The Dv888 has got great feedback from many sources, and is very common in peoples collections these days. There are numerous colorways, mine being the aqua blue colorway. Finally, its selling for 65$! Whats not to like?

Specs

Manufacturer YoYoFactory
Shape Butterfly / Wing
Weight (g) 66.50
Width (mm) 40.64
Diameter (mm) 50.10
Gap Width (mm) 5.03
Bearing Size (Inside x Outside x Width) .250 x .500 x .187 in
Gap Type Fixed
Stock Response System Turning Point K-Pad YoYoFactory Sized

Pretty common height and width.  The Dv888 is undersized but not tiny.  More on the response, gap and shape later.

Construction, Bearing/Response and Anodization

The Dv888 is made of a solid metal.  It dings, but not easily.  It has a nice, bright blue colorway that looks great in sunlight.  The ano gives a good grinding surface.  One thing people may not like is that their is no splash colorway or IRG, but YYF had to leave out something to sell this yoyo for 65$.    The Dv888 has a V-shape with flat rims.  This shapes mixs curves with angles, making it rather nice in the hand.  I also belive that this particular shape is very ergonomic.  It pushes weight to the rims keeping the yoyo stable, as well as creating a big catch-zone.  This yoyo comes stock with a common c-sized SPEC bearing, which in my opinion, is so-so.  This bearing  spun for a short 3 seconds on a flick-spin, so I quickly swapped it out for a CenterTrac bearing.  The K-pads are slippy at first, but after the break in time they bind snappy.  This yoyo came and remained completely unresponive.  The gap is big and can hold many string wraps before getting snaggy.  The only disadvantage is that it can slip binds with a thin string.

Note: If you dont plan on siliconing it, buy extra K-pads. They last 3 weeks to a month if you play the yoyo alot.

Weight and Play

The Dv888 weighs in at a comfortable 66.5 grams. Again, pretty common in the general weight of yoyos these days. It plays at a neutral speed, not floaty or heavy, but moving at a solid pace. This yoyo plays smooth and with little to no vibe. It sleeps more than long enough to perform most long combos. It binds poorly with low RPMs. The one problem I have with this yoyo is how it counters a bad throw. If my throw is below par, this yoyo will begin to vibe badly and does not have good tilt correction.

Comparison

Vs Beysick

Comprable. Similar shape, the Dv888 is slightly smaller though. The Beysick plays a little faster and smoother and has a great IRG, but worse grinding. Sleep time is great on both, slightly better on the Beysick.

Vs Dingo

The Dingo is much smaller, but in terms of smoothness, my Dingo is smoother on a good throw but even worse than the Dv888 on a bad one. No IRG on both of these, but I like the Dingo more for grinds. Also the Red/Orange on the Dingo is very sleek, so the Dingo win in aesthetics. There is not much else to be compared with these, one is a fun throw for your pocket and the other is a main player.

Vs Protostar

The Dv888 is smaller, smoother, grinds longer, sleeps longer, moves slower and is equally stable.

Conclusion

This yoyo is very solid and fun throw, but it does not have any aspects that make is absolutely outstanding. For the price though, this yoyo is a steal, and it competes well with more expensive yoyos.

Pros:
Price-Great
Play-Good
Overall-Very solid

Cons:
Looks-Okay
Bearing-Not special

This yoyo really has little to no down side, so in my humble opinion, I think this yoyo should be tried, bought and thrown alot!

Feedback on this review would be great. Thanks for reading all this!

That was a very good review! It was very informative and I am looking forward to your next ones.
One thing though. My spec bearing is my longest spinning bearing that I own and I can easily get a clean and thin lubed one to spin for 10-15 seconds on a finger flick. I own a small bearing dv88 and I love it.

Funny you mention the SPEC bearing. Numerous people have told me you either get a good one or a dud. I guess mine was a dud. I cleaned it today and it spins 5 seconds on a flick spin now, but my CT bearing spins 15.

2 of your dreams have just come true! yyf lowered their d888 price on yoyoexpert to 50$ and now they have splashed purple, red and green on gold!!!