Breaking In a Yoyo

I saw online a guy who got a 5 minute sleep on a kickside yoyo. It didn’t look fake, so i was wondering how you get it to sleep that much. How much can you break the bearing in, and is there anything else to a long sleep besides a strong throw, and a broken in bearing. ???

What the guy probably did was replace the bearing with a ceramic konkave bearing. Those things spin like a dream. He probably did some hard core mod work. I have a Kickside and i cleaned it and lubed it but my max throw was about 1 minute, but that is with the factory bearing, which is pretty good.

ll you have to do is be able to throw well. BTW, spin time doesn’t really matter, it just matters how well the yoyo plays.

Seriously, a ceramic konkave bearing isn’t going to be some magical thing that increases spin times by large numbers. Practice and technique will be much more beneficial.

3 Likes

I would also like to note to Admin that these are all legitimate answers to his question.

guys, some people just like sleep contest.
calm down yoyo trick fanatic… :smiley:

as for the kickside, yeah, he may using a ceramic kk and adding some weight ring inside the caps.

1 Like

A ceramic kk will not increase the sleeptime a significant amount (waste of $30 IMO). It may only add 10 seconds if that. Your’ throw is what matters most. As for the video, his bearing could just be the normal stock bearing (just cleaned), and it could’ve been dual siliconed so it didn’t have to rub against a starburst

http://http://memegenerator.net/are-you-a-wizard/ImageMacro/5625838/KK-BEARINGZ-HELP-MAH-SLEEPS

less time the string puts friction on the yoyo = more spin time = logic

I’m sure Jensen used a concaved bearing for worlds for no reason (i know hes sponsored). I’m pretty annoyed at people saying theres no difference you dont need it blah blah… Noone NEEDS anything. I play better with my gnarwhal then i do with a legacy. i have longer combos with some bearings over others. by the way this post is in no way biased because i prefer flat/concave depending on the throws response. I do notice a difference. So just because YOU can do anything with a legacy and a flat bearing doesnt mean EVERYONE CAN. If i was given advice to not buy a concave id be pretty frustrated because I like them on some throws. Same if someone told me not to buy flat bearings. Its preference and depends on the thrower. period.

Have you used one? My ceramic kk went a lot longer than 10 seconds. A LOT. Then I took it out because I didn’t like the way it worked with that throw.

I’m talking about increasing the overall sleeptime of the yoyo, not just 10 seconds all together. Plus, there is nothing special about the ceramic, that’s what, imo, makes it a waste of money. A normal KK is just as good. The ceramic won’t do some mystical effect to the yoyo.

1 Like

I remember when I started, I could get 20 sec sleep on my dragonfly. Then, it went up to 25. After that, I didn’t time it. But now I can get a minute. On my dv888 I can get four minutes. The most important thing is your throw. Also, you get to a point, where sleep time barely matters. If you can do your tricks, then that is enough sleep.

1 Like

Anyways, i wanted to clean my yoyo bearings because they are very noisy, and i thought something got in. What could i use, and how long should i let it dry? Will this increase sleep time?
??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

You can clean it with mineral spirits (paint thinner) or lighter fluid. Also, although you don’t have to, when they are all dry after cleaning, add a tiny pin drop of thin lube. This can lengthen the life of your bearing. There is a video of how to do it on youtube.

1 Like

the time spent on measuring your sleep time is some practice time you just lost ;D

the throw is what gives long sleep times, but you can’t develop a good throw if you spend your yoyo time just timing your sleep can you?

when doing tricks, it also comes down to how you capitalize on your sleep time, if you’re sideways with layers of strings in your gap all the time, it will stall pretty fast too.

1 Like

work on your technique, throwing hard and straight etc.

You guys all said the throw was the most important thing, but this is the only guy that gave suggestions on how to have a strong throw.

So, what else will make a strong throw?

Strength, no, but straight, yes. Especially with a breakaway. When you throw your breakways, practice facing the wall, about 1 foot from it, as you get better get closer to the wall, this will force you to train your muscle memory to throw straight and in one plane even when there isn’t an obstacle in your way. :smiley: Hope that helps SOMEONE :stuck_out_tongue:

That is a good idea. I’ll have to try it when my Journey gets here.