Breakaway/Side Throw - tension adjustment bind

Hey folks!

I’ve been looking for ways to adjust string tension with an unresponsive yoyo. At the moment I have to throw a front throw and do it from that position (undermount, pulling string to side) - id like something I can do mid-combo from a side throw position.

I saw a video showing a tension adjusting bind from a side throw. You do a breakaway, undermount the throw using your non throw hand, then swing the throw towards you whilst keeping your throw hand in place. This causes the string to release tension, but also bind.

When I do this, I find the string is even more tense, and if I swing the throw away from me, it does the same thing, gets more tense - this makes no sense how both directions can be causing more tension.

What is going wrong?

1 Like

Throw a normal trapeze. Drape the string from your TH over your NTH thumb. Pull the middle string that’s connected to the yo-yo away from you. This will release tension from normal side style play.

1:05 into the tutorial is shows this

2 Likes

Thanks, this is sort of what I am doing anyway, just from a front throw.

I’m trying to learn the other bind/adjustment I’ve badly explained above.

1 Like

It sounds like you’re describing an unresponsive sidewinder but from an undermount instead of trapeze.

Brandon Vu does it in his video here (timestamped link but 5:48 if it doesn’t work):

3 Likes

It’s the trick at around 6:30min mark in this video

2 Likes

Learn regular front-style unresponsive sidewinder first, it’s conceptually simpler and will help with doing it from an undermount w/ backspin.

Without seeing a video of you doing it it’s hard to say where you’re going wrong.

1 Like

Trapeze mount, grab string and pull to the side - outside loosens, inside tightens (if RH thrower). This is literally my only move to change tension without taking off the string or dealing with a dead yo-yo, lol.

Did you figure this out? I’ve been able to get it working right if I have very low rpms. When it’s spinning faster it just pops back to my hand and I can’t get the side winding effect to work right. Is that just the nature of this bind or do I need to practice more?

Not from a side throw as such. I can adjust tension normally, just not how I want to in a nice way during a combo.

1 Like