Brand new yo-yo is a string cutter / string eater?

the OD overture destroyed every string i put in it for about a week

Itā€™s not common but it is annoying when it happens. I wish more manufacturers would do the fancy mask / polish around the response. That probably helps keep spin times up anyway since it reduces friction against the string. Yeah, itā€™s a fancy finishing touch butā€¦ I likes me some fancy :face_with_monocle:

1 Like

Iā€™d say itā€™s rare that a blast finish, even if it is unmasked, would cause premature string failure. Most manufacturers have learned from the mistakes of the past. Usually if I see an aggressive blast, itā€™s accompanied by a masked bearing area. Not trying to dispute anyoneā€™s claims, but I donā€™t feel like itā€™s currently that widespread of a problem

It is not common, no.

1 Like

Bad juju. One Drop masks that space SO maybe try buying American?

2 Likes

I will check my OneDrops later but I am pretty certain they do not mask that space.

Edit: I just checked a recent Overture and Top Deck purchase and neither one had response area masks, nor can I ever remember seeing a mask for any Onedrop throw Iā€™ve ever owned, so I call BS @grendel

1 Like

@codinghorror The Markmont Classic?

1 Like

Well Iā€™ll be hornswaggled. I can confirm it is masked on the MMC. I donā€™t see it on any of my other onedrops though?

1 Like

Most OD throws arenā€™t blasted, theyā€™re tumbled, so they donā€™t need the masking.

3 Likes

Kuntosh Qv?

1 Like

Yep, confirmed, I see it on that one as well. My apologies @grendel you are clearly a man who knows his One Drops!

Some One Drops (I guess the ones with the blasted finish) indeed have a masked response area.

2 Likes

Arenā€™t the Viszilla and Bape.2 American made but were infamous for snapping string since the bearing seat area wasnā€™t masked off? Donā€™t really see that as a reason for buying American made over anything else.

Sure your right the aggressive type 3 ano on AntiYo at the time was infamous for itā€™s ability to eat strings. However a short rub in time with some denim made for some of the softest feeling finish on any throw. You just had to put in some elbow grease. Didnā€™t take long either. But as Iā€™ve said before in the past and Iā€™m still saying here today that I live in America. So i support American made. Nuff said.
Thank you for your support.

1 Like

Well, youā€™re free to support whatever you want to, not my place to say anything. But when you start trying to push your beliefs on to individuals, you become a nuisance. Ironically, youā€™re contradicting one of Americaā€™s great ideals by doing so.

My new Pivot has just eaten 4 strings in 2 daysā€¦ dingsā€¦

I need to get a buffing cloth to use in these scenarios. Anyone got a recommendation? Just something I can keep in my kit, rough enough to smooth out a string-eaty response area, but not rough enough not scrape away any anodization from the surface? Any recs @yoyodoc?

You are entitled to your opinion.
Have a nice day.

Would still like a recommendation here if anyone has one? Just something I can use thatā€™s a bit simpler than the full on dremel treatment to polish response areas that are a bit too rough.

1 Like

Back of a leather belt or denim works pretty well.

3 Likes

So about thatā€¦ I own not a single piece of denim clothing and have not since high school pre-1990. I do have some leather belts but they are finished leather on both sides?

2 Likes