Brand new top yo Selene not working properly

So last night I got my brand new top yo Selene. I put the string that came in the box on and threw it for about 10 minutes and it was perfect! This morning I put a new string on it (I don’t like white strings) and now it’s like the response pads are non existent. Both strings are the same size, and I did nothing else to it, but for some reason I can completely unwind the yoyo by pulling the string. Just curious if anyone has ever had this happen.

3 Likes

Did you unscrew it at all? Make sure it is screwed tight (but don’t turn it too hard)

1 Like

Very strange if that happened overnight, but in my experience TopYo pads aren’t great. In any case, It couldn’t hurt to put different pads in there if you have some around. :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Figured it out. I’m still a little confused though. I swapped the string out again. This time with a blue ffy poly ( the first was white poly, and the one that wasn’t working was yyf green poly) all the same size. For some reason though, the blue works… really strange. @moby323 I didn’t unscrew it, and did confirm that it was tight prior to posting this.

1 Like

Is the non existent string worn and now too smooth?

It was a brand new string.

so you basically tried a ton of different strings at once with varying responsiveness?

weird

1 Like

Only 3, but yeah. They are all yyf poly regular. 3 different colors, and thus far the blue is working very well, but the green didn’t at all. The white worked for the 5 or 10 minutes I threw it.

1 Like

o,0

so any luck with other strings? Kitty is really solid for starters

I haven’t yet, but I’m glad you said that! I’ve got some kitty at my house that I forget about sometimes lol. I’ll have to give it a try

1 Like

yyf string in general aint that good imo, as much as possible, stick with kitty.

3 Likes

The problem is the crappy string you’re using! If you want good bulk string get iyoyo slackies! If you wanna man up and go premium get Airetic. Airetic strings will last weeks instead hours. Fair warning though, once you feel Airetic standards there’s no going back to cheap stuff! PM me if you’d like some to sample.

2 Likes

I’ve used one string similar to airetic once (wooly nylon stuff) and you aren’t kidding!! That stuff is amazing! I just have a good bit of the yyf stuff to go through. That being said, the gap width on the Selene is much wider than all of my other throws, so I’m gonna assume that has a lot to do with it. Guess I get to upgrade my string soon, and use the yyf on my beater throws! That or buy some better material to make my own! I’ll probably make some with the poly thread I have and go a little thicker than I normally do.

2 Likes

@TheThrowingGnome @SpyseaRice

Put some kitty string regular on, and hands down the best! Definitely time to get some better string lol

2 Likes