Boss compared to 888X?

Just wondering. I’ve been kind of pondering that question ever since the 888X came out and I’ve kind of been torn whether to get one or the other. If you’ve ever owned both, can you compare and contrast them please?

I got a dv888, and the 888x is the same throw with stacks. I like the dv888, but it’s not like a huge favorite or anything. With the boss your paying more for well I’m not sure what but I heard it really kicks but, and goes a little beyond the norm.So I guess the obvious question is do you like stacks. If yes probably go for the 888x if not go for the Boss.

Ive heard the Boss is just like a 888x with no hubstacks, and more rimweight.

Well there’s a bit more to it than that. And I have to say it before anyone gets the wrong impression:
THE DV888 IS NOTHING LIKE THE 888!

To compare between the Boss and the 888x, of course the hubstacks are the most obvious difference, but the real differences in play are result of the overall shape and weight distribution. The 888x has a highwall design, meaning it’s a straight drop down from the wings to the response and bearing. The Boss on the other hand has a perfectly curved profile all the way until about a millimeter outside of the response groove. What this means is that the 888x will fill out your hand more while holding it but the Boss will be less prone to tilt and friction due to the low wall. Plus the rims on the Boss are flat and protruding versus the 888x’s gently sloped rims with only a slight step. What this all boils down to is that the Boss offers a more rim weighted and stable weight distribution than the 888x while the different profiles offer other slight nuances that can be felt during play.

On the other hand, the 888x’s beadblasted finish is a step above the Boss’s laser-textured finish for grinding, but each of them are great at grinding as it is. The 888x just comes out slightly on top on this aspect.

So to summarize:
-The Boss is more stable during play (less prone to tilting)
-The 888x has a better grinding finish
-The Boss has a curved profile with flat rims
-The 888x has a highwall with curved rims
-The Boss has a more accessible IRG for thumb grinding
-The 888x offers the option of using hubstacks and still allows an accessible (and more heavily pronounced) IRG if you choose to remove the stacks.
-The extra overall weight of the 888x gives you a slightly more solid feel on the string while encouraging a more slower paced flowy style of play. But it still accommodates fast play with a very purposeful and deliberate feel.

So based on what I summarized, pick out the aspects you like about each and form your decision around that. Either way they’re both awesome yo-yos and I think you’ll be quite satisfied with either one.

3 Likes

The dv888 is very different from the 888

The boss plays a lot more stable than the 888x but doesn’t have stacks

Well I’ll be derned. Well you learn something every day. Thanks for da heads up. When I saw the names being about the same thing I just figured 888x was hubstacked Dv888. Go figure. Well I am not always right. Heck it’s a good day when I’m generally right. Oh well I tried. Again thanks for teaching me something new.

I’d go for whichever one you think looks cooler. Because as far as play goes you won’t be disappointed with either.

Just to add my 2 cents, I had an 888 and I loved it :slight_smile:

Never tried a Boss :frowning:

I see. It’s just that, I used to have a Boss and it was fantastic, and now I’m looking at the 888X because it looks really, really cool and looks exactly like the Boss, not to mention how I have never seen one negative review about the 888X. I’ve never played with a hub-stacked yoyo either, so I was trying to determine whether I should re-buy a Boss or go with an 888X for $15 more.