Books?

Flyboys

by James Bradley

Revolutionized my appreciation of the sacrifice of our forefathers who served in the Pacific theater during WWII.
Brutally honest about the horror of war.

1 Like

finally read The Hunger Games series. took 4 days for all three books.

Now I’m reading The Immortalists by Kyle Mills. GREAT READ!

Next will be The Bone Yard by Jefferson Bass.

1 Like

Currently reading an abundance of Katherines by john green its a great book

1 Like

K1 and K19 are the same K.
He falls in love with the chick from the gas station.
The fat one dates a hot chick, gets cheated on. Doesn’t care.

1 Like

Mysterious benedict society

Belgariad

Micheal Vey

The Enemy

Warriors

LOTR

And anything Sci-Fi or fantasy

1 Like

Pulled this thread out from the depths.
I’m reading Good Omens by Neil Gaiman & Terry Pratchett and Dune by Frank Herbert.

7 Likes

Nice! I’ve been enjoying the James Rollins Sigma Force Series. Nothing beats highly intelligent PHD super soldiers, historical fiction, and saving the world!

2 Likes

I enjoy best the picture books.
You know…the ones without all the boring words.

2 Likes

Now that I think about it, I’ve never seen a picture book without words…

3 Likes

I read Good Omens after I exhausted Pratchett’s discography. Pretty fun read. Ever read any Discworld books? Pratchett is one of my favorite authors, love all his stuff.

Dune is a classic too. I have the sequels sitting in my to-read pile and I should really get on that.

Im a big fan of hard sci-fi and fantasy. Im currently reading through The First Law series by Joe Abercrombie.

2 Likes

Haven’t read any Discworld yet, but it’s certainly on my list!

1 Like

Where do your preferences normally lie? I could recommend you a good starting point for Discworld if you like. By all means dont start out with the first one, The Colour of Magic, as Pratchett was still getting his feel for the world and it is definitely the weakest in the series. It and The Light Fantastic are a classic read, but id only recommend it for fans.

2 Likes

I also really like sci fi & fantasy but I also read some other stuff when I feel like it. Where would you start in discworld?

1 Like

Some of my favorite series and books (mostly fantasy and scifi) :
A Song of Ice and Fire series
Riyira Revelations and Chronicles
The Mistborn Trilogy
The Kingkiller Chronicles
Indian Hill series
Zombie Fallout series
The Red Rising Trilogy
Son of the Black Sword series
The Lightbringer series
Joe Ledger series
Lord of the Rings/ hobbit/silmarillion
Armor
The Spinal Cord Perception
Digital Fortress
Most work by Lovecraft
Asimov’s Foundation series
Frank Herbert’s Dune
That’s all off the top of my head

9 Likes

Guards! Guards! is generally a good all around rec as it is the first of the City Watch novels, which are widely regarded as fan favorites and probably the strongest ‘first’ book in any of the themed books. Discworld novels are generally split among very loose (disconnected enough where you could start anywhere, but there is chronology as characters age into their later books) themed books; It starts with 4 types of books, the Rincewind, Death, Witches, and City Watch series.

Later comes the Tiffany Aching (more young adult and a sequel to the Witches books), and the Moist von Lipwig series that are more like a parallel series with the City Watch books. There are also several ‘one off’ books that are all good starting points (best to start with in bold), like Pyramids, Moving Pictures, Small Gods (as it turns out the book I started with), The Truth, and Monstrous Regiment.

Id recommend starting with either the Death books (with Mort), or the City Watch books (with Guards! Guards!). Small Gods was actually a good introduction for me, and Pyramids wouldn’t be half bad either. As for Rincewind books (he is traditionally the true protagonist of Discworld after all), id probably start with Sourcery, and with the Witches books id start with Wyrd Sisters (proper chronology be damned, these books are just better than the prequels, revisit them anytime you wish). Id avoid the Tiffany Aching series until you have read up to Carpe Jugulum in the Witches books, and the Moist von Lipwig series until you have read up to Night Watch (or perhaps Thud!) in the City Watch books.

Confused yet? This graph is quite accurate, but not really necessary to follow. Might clear some of my word salad up for you:

2 Likes

As a 42 year old avid fantasy reader I’ve somehow never read Lord of the Rings until now. I’m near the end of Two Towers.

As a kid I went in hard for Dragonlance.

3 Likes

Ive read and enjoyed all the ones in bold. The Foundation is another one of my favorites of all time. Huge fan of Asimov, the Robot books are pretty good too. And when is Sanderson going to release the next Kingkiller book? :rage:

2 Likes

It took me SO long to get through the trilogy! I LOVED the Hobbit and read that book something like 6 or 7 times. I read the Fellowship of the Rings 2 or 3 times, and I got most of the way through the Two Towers. Never made it to Return of the King.
Until a couple of years ago…I got a nice edition of the trilogy that combined all 3 into 1 big book. And slowly…VERY slowly, I made my way through it!
I also got a really cool leather version of the Hobbit which is nice and small. Love that book!

I’ve always been a slow reader…and I have a hard time concentrating on things for long periods (even movies and tv bore the hell out of me a lot…can’t stand going to theaters, and it can take me a week sometimes to get all the way through a movie on my computer cause I get bored and pause them lol).

4 Likes

I’m also finishing Play Anything, by Ian Bogost on audio book. I don’t agree with everything, and he’s a little annoying, but there is some good stuff about embracing the physical world that is relevant to yo-yo and play.
I would recommend it if that’s your thing.

1 Like

Thanks for the detailed answer! I’ll certainly check some of those out!

2 Likes