Books?

Oh man The First Law series is absolutely fantastic! Best newer Fantasy series I have read in a long long time, there is defintely a strong David Gemmell feel to it as well (definitely a good thing)

Oh and I second your recommendation of Guards Guards as a perfect starting point with the Discworld books!

3 Likes

Haven’t read a book inb a while.
But i’m getting ready to re-read The Count of Monte Christo. Best tale of revenge ever.

6 Likes

Is this desire to read it based on a recent real world experience?

1 Like

:rofl: No
But if i was in the market for a revenge type situation then Edmond Dantes would be my role model.

3 Likes

Here’s a list:

1 Like

Really getting into the Alex Cross series from James Patterson.

Any of the Robert Langdon series of books.

When I need a good shot of testosterone Richard Marcinko Rogue Warrior series.

2 Likes

Its not a book, but anybody a fan of 2000 A.D ?

1 Like

There is a lot of good stuff on that list. The Hobbit/LOTR series is amazing, but I’m having some trouble reading The Silmarillion. Kingkiller Chronicles was also really good, and I really want the third book to come out soon (although I’ve lost hope that it will).

3 Likes

You sir have great taste! A song of Ice and Fire is one of my favorite series. Have you read Fire and Blood? It is a great insight into the history of Targaryens in Westeros.

I finished all the current Wild Cards books the other day. Those are great. Started on the Mistborn series a few days ago after a recommendation from my brother. Digging it so far.

2 Likes

Lord of the Rings
Chronicles of Narnia
Wingfeather Saga
The Circle series by Ted Dekker
War of the Reams by Chuck Black
Anything by Stephen R. Lawhead (especially the King Raven trilogy)
Blood of Kings trilogy
Mysterious Benedict Society
Count of Monte Cristo

4 Likes

I’ve read the entire foundation series including the prequel and sequels twice. Love Asimov. Great stuff.

4 Likes

Yeah, Asimov is a great mix of storytelling & world building.

2 Likes

Recently finished a Poe biography. I’m now a little ways in to Crime and Punishment.

5 Likes

I love books on history and the usual suspects in science fiction and fantasy.

However a few guilty pleasure books that I absolutely loved were Sphere by Michael Crichton, Da Vinci Code by Dan Brown and the Mistborn series by Brandon Sanderson. These were books I literally couldn’t put down.

5 Likes

I’ve read most of Crichton’s books and am definitely a fan, but never read this one. What’s good about it?

4 Likes

Well the movie was terrible, but something about the book was really exciting. It had a horror feel and I just remember reading it all in one four or six
hour session, skipping meals. Long time ago, so I recall more the feeling than the plot or specific qualities. It’s an easy read, light, not too long. Give it a shot!

3 Likes

I don’t think this is too spoilery:

There is some very cool communication with an alien intelligence.

2 Likes

Sphere is great! Andromeda Strain is amazing! Congo is so intense! Pirate Latitudes takes the cake for me though!

Gotta admit im the biggest fan of the obvious, Jurassic Park. Books >>>> movies by far, and the movies were one of my favorites as a kid. Loved Andromeda Strain, Pirate Latitudes, and Timeline quite a bit too.

2 Likes

I’m weirdly excited for my flights to/from Nationals because I’ll have uninterrupted time to read Fall; or, Dodge in Hell finally.

2 Likes