Beyblades?

Random question.

Anyone else into beyblades?
I have an older dranzer and the remakes of driger and dragoon.

My son is getting back into it and just curious if anyone else has beyblades lol

4 Likes

I loved Beyblades as a kid, both the originals when I was really young and the metal series reboot.

2 Likes

Dug out my old metal series stuff just the other day. Also have a friend getting the current gen stuff, and they certainly are geared towards older fans

4 Likes

I couldn’t afford them as a kid, we didn’t have any in town and Amazon ordering wasn’t really a thing. But I always thought they were neat. Plastic spinning disks that fight and explode? That’s all me.

3 Likes

@cayce thank you for the edit! My b.

I remember it would be every during recess. Some kids would bring arenas and we’d play til the bell rang. Love the nostalgia it brings and the fun my kid finds in it too

1 Like

I dabbled in beyblades in the 90s but nothing from back then is in my position now

2 Likes

We like beyblades.

9 Likes

This topic came out perfectly, last week I have been on a random dig about Beyblades, I never play them except when I was a kid my friend one couple of times on a metal bowl that they used to use as a ring lmao

I had a video reccomended from one youtuber and then I have been on a rabbit hole of video about Beyblade for couple of days, ngl they so cool, they have contest as well, different rings, different beyblades in some ways reminded me of yoyoing a little bit, such a weird and cool world.

The only thing that still I do not get is if every match is a matter of luck, doesn’t seems to imply particular skills other than study the perfect beyblade and throw it as hard as you can, I see some videos about different way to throw it but it doesn’t seems to be something “skill oriented”, if you know please explain to me!

1 Like

If you want something skill oriented, beyblade probably isn’t the hobby for you.

I liken beyblade closer to something like a TCG, Poker, Dice, or any other game with RNG inherently built into the game. Of course, you can have all the skill in the world, but if someone rivers you, there’s nothing you can do about it but eat that L. I think beyblade is on the lower end too, where there’s only acertain amount of “skill” you can reach, and the ceiling is extremely low in comparison to something like Texas Hold’em that has an extremely high skill ceiling.

Learning how to bank shot or anything like that is simple, takes a few days to get good at it. Then it all comes down to understanding setups and matchups and choosing your setup based on that understanding. After that, it’s RNG - Feels more like a spreadsheet min/max sorta hobby than actually playing it to get better from an execution standpoint.

I think that it’ll be interesting to see what they do with X. I think that Burst was well done, they really went wild with tons of new ideas and designs that really pushed the gimmicks of beyblade which in turn makes it more interesting to play.

Right now X is kinda new and fresh, there’s not many released so its probably easy for you to get in and start.

Burst is probably super cheap to get into if you just wanna buy a bundle online from ebay or something to try it out. Burst is 8 years old from the start of it, so there’s likely a lot of cheap collection dumps but the issue is that it becomes a huge rabbit hole of trying to acquire or learn about 8 years worth of beyblades.

If you’re playing with kids, this kind of concept doesnt apply, kids just wanna have fun and as a result you have fun. I’m speaking more to the adult side of the hobby. (You also need friends to play with, it’s not fun alone imo)

2 Likes

Thanks very much for the explanation, what I did not get is that I seen sponsored player in a match and people was complaining that he was playing badly, but if it is matter of luck how he can play badly? All you have to do probably is throw and aim to a side of the arena or in the centre depending maybe of what type of Beyblade you use.

I seen a video of Beyblade X and the arena seems fun, there is a lot of action there!

Sorry for all the questions, I do not think I am gonna start as I do not have money also for it ahahaha but I am interested in every thing that I do not know and Beyblade seems very fun to play

1 Like

No idea about the new gear stadium or whatever it’s called, so it could’ve been his misplay by not understanding the arena. I do feel like beyblade is trying to be more competitive.

I feel the same way about starting. There’s definitely a lot more stuff to prioritize for me atm, I just like to keep up with the scene and see what’s going on without buying anything lol.

Beyblade is pretty fun though, even if there’s a lot of RNG involved. Getting a friend group together, starting a tournament, and betting on it is loads of fun. Definitely go for burst or newer if you get into it, anything older is questionable to me, especially since you have no nostalgic ties to it.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for the clear explanations, is a word that it makes me curious (like pretty much every hobby that exist), I am happy to watch it is also fun to see what happen or when beyblade get destroyed or fly out in the pockets, I think I will keep watching some videos of it and enjoy for what it is, hope their scene grow up because all the youtubers I have seen seems wholesome people that want and have genuine fun, I also seen insane collections but also I see them in yoyo world lmao

For a while, my kids were REAL into Beyblade. I even hosted tournaments in CT for the WBO for 2 years, held qualifiers for Worlds, the whole deal.

5 Likes

This is my old collection, some are old some are new. I used to be really into them when I was a young chap, now, not so much…
It took me a while to find them from deep in my closet

4 Likes

This topic is such a a coincidence, as my son has literally just asked for 2 for his birthday!

I think that he’s seen them from the cartoon series on Netflix. I was never in to them when I was younger but I’m all for small spinning discs now!

2 Likes

That’s a solid collection :call_me_hand:t5:

1 Like

I should try to get a pick of all my stuff.

It’s…robust. Plastics, HMS, Metal Saga, Zero-G, Burst…tons of stadiums…

1 Like

Sounds amazing. I wanna see for sure!

1 Like

My son went through a heavy BB phase last year. He has 50 or so and a bunch of stadiums. He’s got some of the new X’s too which are super cool.

Also (humblebrag) I can snap-start the heck out of a Bey and can sometimes still take him and his friends w rippers. Thanks, yo-yoing!!!

5 Likes