Best yoyo of all time?

My words exactly. What an ART!

They are art. But I donā€™t know that Iā€™d throw some of them. Some look almost painful.

If you look at it from an engineering stand point, the Kyo Death Robot MG should be the best of the best, although itā€™s so expensive and rare that few have gotten to try one. Hopefully I will one day be able to and make that judgement. While the name is a mouthful, the DRMG offers a very unique design by using magnesium instead of standard aluminum. The main benefit of magnesium is that it is 2/3rds of the weight of 6061 aluminum, but having the same or greater strength. This makes it the ideal material for a bi metal, allowing you to minimize the weight of the body without sacrificing structural integrity. Sure 7075 and 7068 are stronger materials, but there is an extent to how thin a certain material can go before it canā€™t even be machined without bending. By using magnesium, you achieve the low weight of machining a the metal super thin, without actually having to do so.

Daaaang, Iā€™d love to have a yoyo that looks like a Dayton wire wheel, but unless I hit the lotto, I guess I wonā€™t. And it would have to be a big jackpot

200-g2 wolf 100-manatee 50-shutter no limit is g2 banshee

This is not correct, magnesium is softer than aluminum.
On the Mohs scale of hardness of magnesium materials is among those tender class 2 while aluminum, as appropriate and in class 2.5 - 3.
It seems little difference but if you think that the hardness of steel starts from class 5 and titanium from class 6 it understands that it is not.
In addition, the low specific weight of the magnesium forces the designers in the case of yoyo monometal to put a lot of material, and however the tenderness doesnā€™t allow thikness thin (think of the squat shapes of Magnum for example) in the case of bi-metal youā€™re ready for thicknesses minors as for the Dead Robot, always due to the tenderness, and for the assembly of interference rings, you get a very fragile and easily damaged object.

in my experience the best yoyo for today is the Ti-Walker ā€¦ give names for the other categories, they can not ā€¦ I think itā€™s too simplistic to express an opinion only when there would be many units if not tens equal about.

You are confusing hardness with strength, they are not the same thing.

The ultimate tensile STRENGTH of the more common magnesium alloy (az31b) is 290 MPa. The ultimate tensile strength of 6061 aluminum is 310 MPaā€¦ thatā€™s a virtually identical number.

The death robot is NOT easily damaged. It is a lightweight body as strong as any aluminum body, with stainless steel rims. The outer rims are thermal fit to ensure they donā€™t come offā€¦ Iā€™ve literally swung them into the concrete as hard as I can and they donā€™t pop offā€¦ or deform for that matter. The very first one that was assembled was immediately slammed repeatedly into the concrete at full force, it didnā€™t even pick up vibe. Iā€™m not saying it canā€™t be damaged (it can certainly be scratched), but it isnā€™t ā€œfragileā€ by any stretch of the imagination.

Mg is not a great material for single-metal yo-yosā€¦ it is absolutely ideal for bi-metal yoyos.

Kyle

4 Likes

thanks for the information provided, I am happy to read that many tests were carried out, and that has been tested the resistance of this yoyo before you produce it and I do not doubt what you say. However Iā€™m not confused, the tensile strength data (strength not hardness) depends on the type of aluminum alloy that takes into account, for example allā€™ergal (7075) is equal to 640Mpa, for 7068 amounted to 710Mpa ā€¦ data quite different to those of magnesium.
Moreover, the higher strength of these aluminums allows to reach much thinner thicknesses of processing and the thing goes much to compensate for the difference in specific weight between the two metals (1,70 g / cmĀ³ versus 2.80 g / cmĀ³).
So, in my opinion, this yoyo is a great project, a great experiment, a beautiful object but not much more, in the sense that technically does not add much to what already exists, with cheaper materials (today there are yoyo made in 7075 + SS sold at $ 50) and less problematic for work.

p.s. I agree with the weight distribution choice of from the rings, which can not only be placed on the rims.

Most of you could have guessed my answer

200 - G2 Elite
100 - G2 Banshee
50 - Nothing stands out

at first sight, it gives the idea of being biased! ;D

1 Like

Wouldnā€™t make sense if I didnā€™t like my stuff the most.

1 Like

This is also my idea ā€¦ but I thought a lot today and I wondered if in some cases that may be a disadvantage can become a lead ā€¦ then I thought back to the section of the Skyva views yesterday on another thread. ā€¦ and I thought, ā€œthis is it would be great from magnesium!ā€
If someone wants to tell to Jeffrey Pang! :wink:

When I play the Death Robot, it actually feels like I am playing two steel rings. The shell itself, seems to almost disappear in terms of weight distribution because the Magnesium is overwhelmed by the Stainless Steel. This is a truly unique feel in my experience and is very fast in addition.

Perhaps I am not completely understanding what you are meaning (your English is WAY better than my Italianā€¦), but the ease of manufacturing is not something I base a buying decision on. If the play of the yo-yo can justify the price, then it is a winner in my book.

I see Magnesium as a new addition to the yo-yo designerā€™s palette. Has anyone heard of laminating metals? Check out military-grade metal adhesives. Any ideas?

Iā€™ve got an idea, other than magnesium!.. This!

Alloy with memory form, imagines a yoyo who accidentally slams, is deformed ā€¦ and back new again!
Same physical characteristics of the titanium ā€¦ the only problem is that it costs ten times more of titanium ā€¦ drawn in bars from 150 to 300 $/kg

That is pretty fantastic. Never knew that existed. Amazing that things like this have been around that long

I like Mg so im going to stake my cash there. I wanted a robot but I had to buy floors of all things. I got Bellawood, 30 year warranty.

Iā€™m gonna save some money.

Iā€™m gonna redo my floor ā€˜cobblestone styleā€™ with nothing but fixed axle halves.

Mapleliscious.

:nerd_face:

1 Like

OMG that wood be awesome!!!

Too me the best yoyo hands down no price limit is the duncan Mg with the pads recessed.

I came here researching the insane TiWalker lurve :wink:

I found a b-grade (for cosmetic flaws, plays fine) on @kyoā€™s site for considerably cheaper than the full price, so I went for it. Bimetal magnesium! It is surprisingly fun to throw, way more than I thought it would be. Iā€™d actually put it in my top 20, whereas I swore it would be more of a novelty throw than anything else.

A bit off topic, but this video of B!ST mods is AMAZING, by the way:

From

and of course he also made the infamous square yoyoā€¦