Best yo-yo innovation?

I’m certainly biased, but I’d vote anodizing has had an amazing impact on modern yoyos. Without the variety of colors, editions, themes, etc. and ensuing collectability, I think our hobby would be very different.

I totally agree, though not just anodizing but colors in general. There was no reason to own more than 1 TBB GT or 2 Raiders in 2000 but everyone wanted the rare/collectible colors. I can’t speak for other people but these days I know that any yoyo I buy is going to play well and there are just so many options that the colorways available are often going to decide whether I purchase any individual yoyo. I don’t even know how many Protostars I’ve owned, and as great of a performer as it is for the price, I know I don’t need one, but I want one of the new marble ones just because I think it looks fantastic.

I have no grasp as to how much collectors really impact sales but I have to imagine that the amount of people buying anywhere from 2 to 50+ FHZs/888s/Chiefs/whatever or buying every yoyo in X colorway even if there are a couple throws they don’t care for, plus the people who will impulse buy something that looks amazing (points at self) has to be at least somewhat significant.

I agree oops.

Without collectors I don’t think this hobby would have ever moved past an incredibly small niche.

Spin tops might be an imperfect but somewhat instructive comparison. There doesn’t seem to be too much collectability in spintops (outside of fun plastics in Latin America) and I think awareness and growth of the industry suffer because of it.

Persson: You don’t think it’s kind of arrogant or condescending to imply that if someone likes the look of their yoyo, they’re NOT a player? That’s ridiculous. Customization is a HUGE value-added benefit for any number of professional tools. Pool players pick how their custom cues look. Guitar players are absolutely nutty with choosing options (and adding aftermarket parts) for their guitars… and most of these options and looks are driven by working professionals. Cars? Bikes? Goalie helmets in hockey?

Just because you give a second thought to the look of something doesn’t make you any less of a player. And to say otherwise just kind of makes you look like a bit of a hipster.

Back to yoyo… even the hipsters like customization. There’s a relatively large market for Freehands with particular pogs or transitional colours. :wink: And this market may have some “nearly-pure collectors” (who collects yoyos without playing them at least a little? Can’t imagine any…) but there are also a tonne of full-on players into that kind of thing as well.

“as I’m a player” he says…

You may truly not have any interest in the look, but that’s more of a core personality trait than you think, and has nothing to do with whether you’re a player or not…

That L2 is pretty neat! I think it’s not really an analogy to what SE’s are… it’s a spike that’s a stunt peg that can accept hubstacks… or something… whatever it is, it’s wild and I’m glad to have seen the video! Still don’t think it’s a direct analogy to SEs.

1. That is your preference and it says nothing on the utility of Side Effects
  2. Of course you don’t understand Side Effects but want to talk as if you do.  What you see in that video is nothing like Side Effects. The only similarity is that something is happening in the hub
  3. As listed before there are many advantages of Side Effects over traditional axle systems and also over what the project had.  Manufacturing benefits that you cannot be aware of. One of them is that the hex nut on the Project took different types of machines and an extra operation. Not simpler.  People like to change the look.  The weight differences do actually make a difference in play and the physics do back this up.

You don’t have to like them. That is fine.  But please don’t come on and say false things about them.

3 Likes

SKF was the first ball bearing yo-yo

1 Like