Best yo-yo innovation?

In the world seems to continue to be built myriad of excellent yoyo with the traditional system and maybe wrong, but it will be so forever.
then you know they are just opinions … but at least, here, you can express.

;D

If you don’t like customizing your yoyo, side effects are still useful from a durability standpoint.

I think a short axle version would be cool so that a flat hub would be possible.

Exactly!

Mess up the threading while screwing the halves back together? Null sweat! Just get new side effects instead of an entire yoyo.

I also would love to see what you are suggesting regarding the possibility of a short axle side effect enabling a flat hub.

Has to be the modern twisted yoyo string. Bearings come in second. I don’t think unresponsive yoyos were that big of a leap, mostly because responsive yoyos turn unresponsiveon their own.

Exactly. There are other benefits too. Changing aesthetics. Tuning. Things on the manufacturing side. Holding the yoyo together (its an axle system).

Also it’s not correct to assume center weight has no effect as Perrson indicated. The complete weight distribution contributes to the feel and performance and the changes from Side Effects are not insignificant. Any change is more than the traditional tapped method offers.

2 Likes

Opinions are fine. But just straight up ignorant hater comments are useless. Probably more useless than Side Effects :slight_smile:

1 Like

horizontal

What would we do without horizontal play ???
Looks at yoyo world championships before 2009 ignoring mickey’s occasional gyro flop horizontal

Metal being used in the making of yoyos was a fun idea

Mickey has been doing horizontal at least since 2005 lol. The only reason it exploded after 2009 is the sleipnir. In 2010 you can already see most if not all modern horizontal concepts being developed. Theres no way all those just appeared out of nowhere within a year.

Hence the “ignore Mickey” xD
Just wanted to point out that even without the horizontal, there would still be a competence yoyo scene

I don’t think you’ve had enough experience with the side effects… Center weight is useless to change the behavior of a yoyo? Most absurd thing I’ve heard all week. Center weight greatly changes the play of a yoyo. Adding center weight causes a yoyo to go from light and fast to heavy and slow. Take a Cascade, put in ultra lights, it’ll feel floaty and fast, put in brass spikes, it’ll feel like a brick. And even if center weight was useless, side effects are still an amazing innovation because of how durable they are. Side effect throws can be beaten to hell and back and still be dead smooth, not to mention if the side effect strips, you can just change them out.

My opinion stems from the fact, and not ignorance.
When use the various side effect on the yoyo, the only thing that changes is the shot being launched … nothing more to give (the side effect in my possession are, alu spike, brass spike, ultralight alu, dietz).
because? the weight in the center of gravity is useless in a rotational movement, says physics not me.
then ultimately, for me, the feelings that I try using them are among the most useless things I have in my cases.

@yoyospirit
maybe at your house physics works differently than mine … but I can not find any benefit to the yoyo feel heavier or lighter, in terms of capacity when rotation is always the same.

Stop trying to look at it from a physics stand point and look at it from a yoyoing stand point. I get that you are trying to say center weight does not affect the actual rotational movement of the yoyo, but side effects aren’t meant to do that. They are meant to change the feel of the yoyo. As I said before, when a side effect yoyo has a heavier or lighter side effect in it, the difference in feel will be night and day.

Gotta agree. Even if it’s ONLY about weight, that’s still significant. It’s not about rotational movement that I put UL’s in most of my SE yoyos… it’s that I always seem to like lighter, and that’s the lightest SE. :slight_smile:

3 other cool things about SEs:

1. customization of look of the yoyo, both in terms of hub “style” and also hub colour. Red SEs look bad (as in good!) in nickel ODs. :slight_smile:

2. customization of features. Even without stunt pegs and RSMs which actually add “obvious” features, Ultra-Lights are capable of what a friend referred to as “ghetto matador”, which I love doing. And then spikes can do straight-up matador.

3. easy and cheap replacement if somehow (and it takes concentrated effort…) you ruin the threading or axle in the SE.

I’m not going to say they’re necessarily the best innovation… replaceable response, butterfly shape, bearing axles… these are all things that are easily ahead of SE’s. But the argument that SE’s do nothing just has no legs.

Brass in all nickels.

@yoyospirit
the point of view of physics and that of the yoyo (sensazioni of the game) are different … ok … I understand that it is useless to talk over
@ Grep

1. as a player, I haven’t interest in the “look”
  2. this doesn’t seem like anything new, already in 2007-2008 Luo Yi Cheng with his L2 (Takuto Design L2) had come to this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEigk-lKSYY
  3. this was enough for the axis of the project, much cheaper solution, operational (in every hardware store has everything you need) and smart.
    then where would these innovations or utility? I still don’t see anything.

dude, SE are not the same thing as hubstacks

Fact: Side Effects are no less useless than a standard axle system because it performs the same job. Therefore, they are not useless. Unless you think a standard tapped axle is also useless?

(Utility of side effects)-(utility of a standard axle system)~0
(I myself dont necessarily agree with this, just paraphrasing)

Side effects adds to the structural complexity of the yoyo, or specifically at its center of rotation. All side effects yoyos i v tried vibe to some degree, while most clyws made by the same manufacturer are smoother or at least tuneable.