Best USA bimetals

Also, I see plenty of throws that are like $400, I even saw one that was $50 short of $1K. They sell those, wouldn’t people go nuts for a Bi-metal One Drop??

2 Likes

I believe those are almost always titanium or titanium bi metal. So the price is naturally higher based on material not machining cost.

1 Like

Those Anglam beau noirs were a little different in that they were limited (for whatever that’s worth) and aimed squarely at high end collectors

1 Like

True. I would still pay that for a One Drop bi-metal, that’s just me though. Aren’t CLYWs made in Canada? That’s just as good.

1 Like

I believe clyw is based out of Canada but does not manufacture in America. Someone else probably know better than me.

3 Likes

They do not anymore

They have in the past and may still in the future, but like most brands, China is where they’re made currently/generally.

I don’t know how often One Drop designs a yoyo strictly for the collector market, but they haven’t seemed too keen on doing it since I’ve been yoyoing (2018).

3 Likes

I can understand wanting to support makers in your own county or not wanting to support places that are guilty of human rights violations. But I feel like the small Chinese shops such as FPM that do quality work and support our community are deserving of our support. I don’t feel like I’m giving my money to the bad guys here.

16 Likes

YoyoFactory has machined bimetals in their Arizona workshop back in 2021 but I don’t think it’s routine.

4 Likes

My knowledge of G2 history is starting to fade, but the original Elite might be the only US made bimetal from G2.

7 Likes

While you may have a personal reason to avoid Chinese manufacture; the vast majority of yo-yo consumers do not. Yo-yo brands will source from the lowest cost; highest quality manufacturer. Right now that is China.

As for a bi-metal from OneDrop, that horse has been beaten to death. They appear to be either unwilling; or incapable of producing a bi-metal throw at any price.

Edit: I appear to have been mistaken. The Death Robot is a truly great bi-metal that was apparently made by OneDrop. I did not know this; and stand corrected. The Death Robot is precisely the type of bi-metal that OneDrop should be producing. Exotic, small runs that will appeal to those with more money than sense (like me). Personally, I would like to see more of projects like this from Eugene.

8 Likes

There’s nothing listed here.

1 Like

Is the quality of the aluminum being sourced in China if cheaper quality than that which is used in Japan, USA and other countries?

Example, is their different qualities of 6061 aluminum?

I don’t say this negatively, because if true it helps being the cost down to the consumer and to my knowledge should not impact the performance.

1 Like

Paraphrasing OD, the word during the run-up to the latest Top Deck batch was that bi-metals are “not their thing”. Looking at the yo-yos
that are their thing, this makes sense to me.

Bi-metals come in so many shapes at so many price points these days, it doesn’t seem like a feature that really says much about a yo-yo on its own.

4 Likes

The Kyo Death Robot is currently the only bi-metal machined by One Drop, and that yoyo was a doozy to machine. @da5id could explain. I’m not really sure why people doubt their ability to machine a bi-metal, it’s really not that complex and for a company who can machine to the tolerances necessary for side effects bi-metals are gonna be no issue for them. It’s just a press fit ring, some companies even used a bit of epoxy.

8 Likes

I would say there is no significant difference between different sources because the numbers means there is a quality control over what alloys and percentage of it are combined to make it 6061 or 7075. Also there is also possibilities that some aluminum in US comes from China due to the fact that it is one of the biggest aluminum production and they also export it at a high volume too. So it’s really hard to determine if an alloy is from US, Germany or China if there is no tag on it.

7 Likes

There are no US Made Bimetals that are accessible. The Kyo Death Robot has been mentioned, but good luck finding one of those.

5 Likes

We will have one for nationals.

Last year we released 4 made in USA yo-yos. Not that it’s worth a mention here.

14 Likes

Why isn’t it worth a mention here?..

2 Likes