It is 2021 and One Drop

It is 2021 and One Drop still has not released the bi-metal yoyo that was leaked 7 years ago. Were we “played” with that leak? Is it never going to happen? Does it even need to happen? Are bi-metals really that much better for competition? Is the real issue that they don’t have the manufacturing process to create bi-metals? I’m not sure what it takes. I do know that if I ding a One Drop yoyo I don’t immediately worry that I have ruined it. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Some designs take a lot of work to get right. Sometimes they have to get put on the back burner until inspiration strikes to solve a particular problem.

And when you have to run a business in the meantime, you have to also work on other designs to keep the lights on.

Edit: I have no specific knowledge of this design, I’ve just heard this about many designs before.

1 Like

One Drop has a very good reality based view of design and performance.

They have benchmark yoyos in mono-metal form.

In 2015, they released a prime example of what they can do when they dropped the Citizen yoyo.

A timeless yoyo still valid today. One Drop flexed their yo-yo making power.

The One Drop Machine-shop is limited in what they do only by choice, not by lack of ability.

Excellent designs in durable forms at reasonable prices, made in the USA is ‘their way’.

They don’t feel compelled to outdo others.

They are simply driven to outdo themselves.

They have a most excellent formula.

All good things come ‘in time’.

They have no lack of initiative or potential.

19 Likes

I have more one drops than any other brand. 15 or so. I stopped counting. The strange thing for me, while I appreciate their “out there” designs like Fat Tire, those are the yoyos that I enjoy least. Maybe because I am still a beginner.

5 Likes

They helped kyo make the death robot mg which is a bimetal magnesium yoyo.

5 Likes

David has stated publicly that he doesn’t want to produce a bi-metal because he would have to price it absurdly high (in his view) compared to Chinese-made models. He doesn’t feel that the marketplace would respond positively to it. Those who feel they know better than he does about this can always take it up with him via e-mail or PM.

10 Likes

I’ve never really meshed with yo-yos that have thin walls. I like them but don’t love them

5 Likes

Well, that makes a lot of sense.

4 Likes

I appreciate that One Drop takes pride in their manufacturing and also seems to care about their customers. I trust that if they felt the need for a Bi-Metal was there creatively, we would absolutely have it. It’s an added bonus for me that the throws they produce are really close to being indestructible (as YoYos go). I have mixed feelings on Bi-Metals, I enjoy them but don’t always feel it’s a true need as much of a preference.

These feelings are also based on skill level; I can’t say that where I am on the spectrum that I’m pushing most of my stuff “to the max” for me to need that extra bump.

7 Likes

I guess it does.

However, there are A LOT of $100+ bi-metals sold out at YYE right now. The FYFO is $144, and they just did another run. I wonder how much that’s a real reason…

Personally I’m not itching too much for an OD bi-metal. I wish more that they would put out something else with an IGR. Oh wait, is that the Panorama?

5 Likes

That is probably why I have so many One Drop yoyos. They are all different so playing the various One Drop’s is like an adventure, AND, I don’t worry about dinging them. I just play and enjoy. Being made in the USA pulled me in. Quality, value and variety keeps me coming back.

6 Likes

As @zslane mentioned, One Drop has stated in the past that doing a bi-metal would be too pricey. Plus, IMO, unless one of their players or they themselves find a design that absolutely can’t be done with mono metal, it wouldn’t make much sense to waste time making a design that other companies are already doing. All that said, if One Drop did make a bi-metal, it would sell out like hot cakes no matter the price.

6 Likes

Same

6 Likes

Out of the [way too many] Yo-Yos I own I still have mixed feelings on most Bi Metals. I do have a few on the higher end side that really shine but outside of those I don’t know. I have also seen a ton of impressive Monometals with superior designs that dust many of the Bi metals.

4 Likes

A great example of the best “one drop” I have played is the YYR FYFO. I would completely agree with your statement

3 Likes

Rumor has it that there finally going to make my 7075 project… @da5id

7 Likes

Please let this be true

1 Like

:star_struck::flushed::pray::grin:

3 Likes

CLYW had some pretty pricey bi-metals, people bought those. I think the One-drop fan club would happily pay 200.

3 Likes

I would if I liked the shape and specs on it

1 Like