Best in Collection VS Favorites in Collection

I thought that this was an interesting take on my collection, and wanted to see how other people thought.

So after having collected however many yoyos I have, I’ve noticed that not all of the ones that I think are best are my favorite yoyos. I noticed it when I got both a C3 Speedaholic and a YYF Onestar. The Speedaholic was a better throw. It had more spin, maneuverability, and just really exceeded my expectations of a plastic yoyo. But I like my Onestar better. It’s more comfortable and performs better than good enough. I noticed I felt that way about others in my collection.

So what I though was people could list what they think are the 5 best throws that they own. Also, list the 5 favorite throws that you own. I think it would be interesting to not only think about, but see what others do and think.

So, my best 5:

1- YYF/Turning Point Proton
2- Duncan Barracuda
3- YYF Avant Garde
4- ILYY Sakura
5- Duncan Exit 8

And then my 5 Favorites

1- Duncan Exit 8
2- YYF/Turning Point Chaotic
3- Duncan Barracuda
4- YYJ SR-71
5- YYF/Turning Point Proton

Explanations of why you feel the way you do would be good, but I am not doing that right now, but may edit one in later. I just thought it would be interesting what people thought.

And don’t bash other’s preferences or opinion on his or her lists. Everyone is different and has different likes and expectations.

Best
Bonfire
Capricorn
Gradiant
Chief
Yeti/cascade/summit

Favorites
Capricorn
Classic
Onestar
Speedaholic
Cascade

Could you give explanation on what do you mean by best and favorite.

I’m not sure that this is dead on, but from the read, I thought he meant this:

Best:
The yo-yos that people might consider the more high end, have reputation in reviews for being great, and/or highly sought after throws.

Favorite:

Regardless of price, reputation, or desirability to others, the throws you actually enjoy using the most.

^ If that is correct, it is a nice topic, and I’ll have to think about it and post up later. :-\

1 Like

That’s what I get from it. I’d have to think about what yoyos I would call my best and favorite.

For “Best,” not necessarily what the community thinks, but what you think may be the most “tournament worthy.”

Here is an example

For a long time, YYJ Lynn Fury was what the community seemed to think was the best plastic yoyo. In my lists of “best plastics three years ago,” the Lynn Fury would not be there, because I think that the yoyo does not have good enough weight distribution to compete with a Speedmaker or a Duncan FHZ. Many other people may include it, but from the qualities I think a high performance plastic yoyo should have, the Lynn Fury doesn’t cut it for me.

However, while I may think an FHZ is a better yoyo, I may like throwing the Lynn Fury more because of comfort, or if I preferred a large bearing, or because of a better finish, or a better color, or whatever reason. It doesn’t have to be a logical reason; simply your own.

I’ll compare the Proton vs Exit 8 (My best vs my favorite) in a little more detail:

Proton has less vibe, a smoother finish, high stability, and awesome spin time. It feels like what I think a high performance, competition yoyo should feel like more than the other yoyos I own.

I find the Exit 8 to be more comfortable. It is my favorite yoyo to throw, and I feel that it complements how I play. And I like it’s “personality;” it breaks the “C Bearing” rule of modern yoyo design with great success.

So I like the Exit 8 more, even though I think the Proton is a better performing yoyo.

1 Like

Best:
Horizon
Prism
Gambit
Classic
Ringmaster
Favorite:
Horizon
Prism
Gambit
Classic
Ringmaster

Best:
Irony JP
Irony JP X
Arctic Circle 2
Phenom Ti
Cyborg

Favorite:
Helium
Speeder
Speeder 2
L5
Irony JP X

In my humble opinion, from my humble collection:

Best - (In terms of performance .vs. play)

1. Yoyorecreation Draupnir
  2. Yoyofactory ‘Doomsday’ Genesis
  3. Yoyorecreation Sleipnir
  4. Onedrop Valor
  5. CLYW Bear .vs. Man round 2

Favourite -

1. Onedrop Foam Cube
  2. Onedrop Rally
  3. Yoyofactory ‘Doomsday’ Genesis
  4. Yoyofactory ‘Galaxy’ Proton
  5. Onedrop Yelets
  6. 2Sickyoyos 7075 Gambit

;D

1 Like

Best:

1. Draupnir (token contribution to the Draup hype machine)
  2. Sleipnir (I could throw Dreadnought in here too, but that’d be boring)
  3. 5 Star (I feel like the Star is to the organic shape as the Sleipnir is to the V; fundamental and perfect)
  4. Majesty (Performance and comfort, without compromising on either)
  5. Albatross (Performance and comfort, without compromising on either, but slightly less so than the Madge)

Favorite:

1. CODE1 (every vote seemed to go the way I was hoping it would, so this ended up feeling like it was custom designed just for me)
  2. Albatross (Crossover, baby! Why do I prefer this, even though, as I stated above, the Majesty is similar but better? I just do!)
  3. Magnum (even though it’s essentially a super saiyan version of the 5 Star, objectively speaking, I don’t think this plays quite as well. However, the 5 isn’t as unique feeling, and doesn’t have the whole H.R. Geiger look)
  4. Yelets (well, it’s my pocket throw, and it’s hard not to get attached to your pocket throw)
  5. Stratos Another (it’s like a crippled puppy; you’ve have to have a heart of stone to not love this thing)

Best:

1. Draupnir
  2. Code 2
  3. Code 1
  4. Ozone
  5. Glide

Favorite:

1. Code 1
  2. Draupnir
  3. Code 2
  4. Skyline
  5. Phase
1 Like

I had a really tough time trying to decide my 5 “best” throws. I have quite a few high ends, but struggled to determine the best. Here is what I came up with.

1. Aftershock
  2. Al7 Aftershock
  3. Stealth Ogre
  4. Chief
  5. Shutter (I know, but since it just won Worlds, I figured it belonged here)

As for my favorites, I could have included a few more of my “best,” but I didn’t want to have too many repeats.

1. Aftershock, yes again. I just love this throw
  2. Spectrum
  3. OUT Cheap Thrills
  4. Cliff
  5. Puffin
    Honorable Mention: Apollo II

Best

1. Draupnir
  2. Stealth Ogre
  3. Burnside
  4. Hazmat
  5. Ape-x

Favorite

1. Stealth ogre
  2. Ape-x
  3. Kestrel
  4. F(x)
  5. Burnside

Best:

1. YYR Draupnir.
  2. YYR Sleipnir
  3. YYR Geipnir
  4. VSNYC Ti Walker
  5. YYR Stargazer.
  6. Sturm Panzer Leo Sniper MK 2

Favories

1. YYJoker New Double Joker
  2. YYR Triad
  3. YYOfficer Hatchet
  4. YoyoMonster Beselius
  5. YYF Doomsday Genesis
  6. YYR Laser

Practice:
YYR New Diffusion

I have like 4 yoyos so yeah…
Best
KLR
Messiah
FG Avalanche
Entheos

Favorite
KLR
Messiah
FG Avalanche
Entheos

1 Like

Best two would be Arctic Circle II then Capricorn.
Favorite two would be Capricorn then Arctic Circle II.

dat foam cube how on earth did you find one.

okay my favorite is the 2014 genesis and my best is the 2014 genesis

Best:

YYF Cypher
YYF Horizon
SPYY Supra
SPYY Addiction
SPYY Orbitron 5000

Favorite:

OD Markmont. Next
SPYY Addiction
Anti-yo Bapezilla.2
SPYY Orbitron 5000
YYF Cypher

When my Markmont. Classic arrives I expect it will breach the top performers, as well as take the top spot in my favorites. I’d really like to pick up a Draupnir eventually to top my top performance list. I’d also really like to eventually add a Sovereign, Magnum, and Freehand Mg, all of which would probably bump some of my current favorites out.

Without looking at my case, here’s what I think the answer is–

Best:

Valor
Krown
Prestige
Queen
Royale w/ Cheese

Favourites (lately):

Valor
Krown
El Ranchero
Queen
'07 888

This took me long enough, but here goes…

I never really think about which yo-yos are supposedly the “best,” in my collection. I buy what I think might appeal to me, based on it’s features or aesthetics. So, I rarely think of what other people would want out of the throws in my collection. So, I’m guessing that the most desirable, or best to others, is the more expensive stuff I have (for the most part). If someone could raid my collection, I think they would want these:

“So-Called” Best

1. Dazzler
  2. Oxy 9.06
  3. Oxy Hyperion
  4. 3yo3 Ti5
  5. Anglam ver.cc
  6. Ricochet
  7. Berserker
  8. Sovereign
  9. YYR Overdrive
  10. Cliff
  11. Krown
  12. Chief
  13. Barracuda
  14. Majesty

My personal favorites:

1. TooH.O.T.
  2. Ricochet*
  3. Genesis
  4. Chief*
  5. 9.06*
  6. Avant Garde
  7. Exit 8
  8. Anglam ver. cc*
  9. Model 10
  10. Code 2
  11. Dark Magic II
  12. H.O.T.
  13. Cypher
  14. Catalyst

There is about a 30% overlap. So, just as the OP stated, the so called “best,” may not be what you enjoy most.