Beginner Yoyo-er Here ^^

Hey, I started Yoyo-ing like a few days ago. I have a Duncan 2010 Freehand 2, it only cost me £10 and it seems to not be great with certain tricks. I have been watching some of the vids on this site and I think I can do:

Walk The Dog (Still needs practise)
Forward Pass (Not to sure if it is right)
Jamaican Flag (I nailed this trick today and been picking up the speed with it)
Breakaway (Nailed it yesterday after practising for a couple of days)
Trapeze (Well it’s like 50/50 when I do this, when it does land on the string it will completely slow down)
Bind (Now, the way Andre does it to begin with on his vid I can’t seem to do. I do it the second way he does it)

That’s about it really. I can obviously do basic’s like Sleeper, Throwdown etc.
One thing I have been trying to work on is Pop the Clutch, I get the string over my shoulder and tug it and nothing happens. I’ve tried different strengths of tugging and it doesn’t do anything >.<

It might just be how I am positioning the yoyo or could be my yoyo. Just wondering if anyone else has the same Yoyo as me with stock parts and can do this trick easily.

If it’s the Yoyo itself then could anyone recommend a good Yoyo I should buy from Yoyonation.co.uk. I was thinking of looking to get a YYJ, been seeing people talk about it alot so it must be good. What should I be looking for to do long sleeping tricks and string tricks?

Cheers guys and gals.

Welcome to yoyoing and YoYoExpert!

The 2010 Freehand 2 is a yoyo made more for unresponsive play than responsive, meaning that it isn’t made to come back to your hand easily without a bind, so it won’t work very well for some of the very basic yoyo tricks like pop the clutch.

As for it slowing down on trapeze and those related things, it’s practice, as well as keeping the strings away from the sides of the yoyo. The string rubbing the sides will slow the yoyo down greatly. Just have to work on keeping them away, as well as just practicing to get a good throw.

Hey, well even when doing a Bind it doesn’t come back all the time. I am probably not doing it right or something >.<
I guess I will keep watching the Bind video until I master it lol.

Also, what tricks is this yoyo best for then?

Yeah, it just takes practice. You won’t learn it overnight.

It’s best for 1a, 3a, and 5a tricks that don’t need the yoyo to return on its own, unlike pop the clutch or UFO. For the very skilled, those can be done with unresponsive yoyos as well, but they require some intense binding skills.

Ah I understand about not being able to learn them overnight. Well after I posted my 2nd message I decided to look up Yoyo maintenance vids on this site and I didn’t realise that you needed to change the string so often, obviously the amount of times I am using it I wouldn’t need to change it as often as pros would.

I changed my string as it was turning yellow, wearing away near the bottom and seemed to become loose after a few throws. With a nice new string it feels alot better, throws feel smoother and binding is alot easier. I can forward pass and breakaway with it alot easier aswell. I have also been trying to put in a bind at the end of some of my tricks to wind it alot quicker.

I guess I should buy a pack of string, I was reading 50/50 cotton and polyster is the best to get, hoping you could confirm this for me. Might also have to look into getting a more responsive yoyo for better practise with different tricks.

Well, you can play strings until they break (and then keep playing if they break high enough in the string lol) but yes new strings feel better and sometimes work better.

That is good, but it’s not the best. There really is no best string, no best yoyo, bearing, response, or whatever else you might hear. It’s all preference and what certain people prefer. Might I suggest getting a few different 5-packs of string of different types to try them out? You could also get some thick lube to make your Freehand more responsive.

Do I apply the lube on the bearings? I’m not to sure where I have to actually apply it lol.

Oh and I have been using a double loop instead of a single loop and it feels alot better. I am able to do some of the tricks I mentioned alot easier.

Cool. And yeah you would just put the lube on the side of the bearing.