Beginner learning unresponsive

I am just learning to throw and bind an unresponsive yoyo. I have watched the beginning bind technique videos, but they move pretty fast. I am just starting to get the hang of it and I’m hit and miss with binding.

Would my yoyo bind easier for learning if I used a thick string?

Would lubricating the bearing with thick oil help?

Thank you, Jeff

2 Likes

Thick string may make it a bit easier to perform some binds, but all you really need is practice.

9 Likes

Yes. I know practice makes perfect. I was just wondering if a thick string would make it bind easier so I would get the bind more frequently to develop the technique. ?

Thank you, Jeff

What yoyo, definitely don’t use any lube especially thick

3 Likes

Yes, using a thicker string will help. I didn’t realize this when I was learning to bind and I made the mistake of trying to learn to bind with a Replay Pro and a regular thickness string. It was nothing but frustration city. Use a yoyo with a narrow gap, or use a thicker string. Either will help tremendously.

Note that the biggest factor in binding successfully is friction. The three things that lower available friction the most are a wide gap, a thin string, and a slowly spinning yoyo. That last one is key. Even a yoyo with a thin gap is going to be hard to bind if it is barely spinning. You will generally find that the faster the yoyo is spinning when you bind, the easier it will grab the string and the faster it will return to your hand, but also the less string you will need to feed into the gap to make it happen, and if you put too much string into the gap for the speed it is spinning at, you will end up with a long “tail” in the wind. You will learn to match string feed amount with yoyo speed as you gain experience.

7 Likes

Great advise. Thank you!

This is really good video to show you what really needs to happen with every bind.

3 Likes

Another great video. Thank you. I have been watching a couple from YoYo Tricks that are also very good.

PS. I am using a Shawn Exploder to learn with. I received the Duncan Haymaker X yesterday but its to pretty to learn with. :wink:

2 Likes

Definitely don’t use thick lube lol. That will only make it more responsive when you pull on it. Like the others said, a thicker string should assist you, but isn’t totally necessary.

One thing that helps is to pull the string in the opposite direction before the bind to give it a bit more string to snag onto. Meaning, pull your hand with the double loop away from the yoyo and your throw hand with the single string attached to your finger closer to the yoyo, then pinch and pull the double loop in the opposite direction to activate the bind.

1 Like

Also, don’t forget that YouTube has the option to slow down those vids to as low as one-quarter speed! Click on the gear in the lower right corner of the video and select “speed” to see options.

I use this feature a lot when watching trick tutorial vids.

Ivan

8 Likes

Thick string will help, but is likely not necessary. Absolutely do not use thick lube, that will make the yoyo responsive.

Just be patient and continue to work on your technique, it will “click” eventually.

2 Likes

This is excellent advice. I wish someone would have been so clear when I was learning to bind. Thank you for sharing.

1 Like

I appreciate all of the great advice!

No lube. I have decided against a thick string for now.

1.The Shawn Exploder has a narrower gap and is easier to bind.
2. The Duncan Haymaker has a wider gap.

1. Sometimes the Shawn bind too much and jumps up the string making a mess.
  2. The Haymaker is definitely harder to bind but when I do get the bind it wraps the string more evenly.

I just need a lot more practice. That’s actually the fun part!

Thank you, Jeff

4 Likes

You can practice with the Shawn Exploder by not throwing it as hard, imparting a lower spin velocity. That should tame its tendency to return back to you with equivalent velocity.

2 Likes

Something to keep in mind is everyone learns at their own pace, this isn’t a race or job, it should be fun (with some frustration sprinkled in). Don’t rush yourself, every single person who plays unresponsive yoyo was where you are. Practice and paying attention to what you are doing really does work.

Keep having fun.

2 Likes

So many new horizons. I had always kept a yoyo around but “modern” yoyo has so many new challenges.

Great fun for an old guy!
Thank you all.

2 Likes

A bunch of us fall into the old guy category. Welcome!

2 Likes

Try practicing it slow to see just where your yoyo grips the bind. Pull gradually up on your throw hand while keeping the loop pinched with thumb and forefinger, lowering it as you incorporate the string drag. With the yoyos you have, you definitely don’t need to “throw” the yoyo hard, since you aren’t needing that spin time for tricks. Once you find out how your yoyo grabs, just repeat. This is an important part of unresponsive yoyo, so practice this till it gets boring imo. Next step is learning breakaway and binding from the side.

Have fun practicing :slight_smile:

3 Likes

My girlfriend learned to bind in like 15 minutes with a replay pro and zipline ep20/20 which is thin string so it’s doable she doesn’t even throw regularly

2 Likes

Well then she is infinitely more talented than I. I was never able to sufficiently warp physics to my will.

4 Likes