Beginner Commandments (for Newbs, by a Newb)

I’ve put together some basic “commandments” for newbies, by a noob. It’s some stuff I’ve learned or figured out from various sources while (slowly) progressing along this amazing hobby.

I’d love for anybody to add to or argue/edit these as they see fit.

1. Thou shall tie the slip knot between the first and second knuckles of the middle finger

For some reason. I didn’t know or realize this until about 2 weeks into throwing. Like a lot of newbies, I just assumed base of the finger. But there really is improved “feel” and control further up (or distal) on the finger

1. Thou shall place the single string at the slip knot on the index finger side, and the “2 strings” on the ring finger side.

This prevents knot slippage. And when I learned this I became comfortable with the slip knot further down the finger. It took me a while to find this fact somehow.

1. Thou shall take your throw EVERYWHERE

One can always make time for practice. Even if it’s one throw. Every little bit counts IMO. Find a way to bring it. Find a way to make a couple of minutes of practice. It’s good for your mental health.

Pocket it. Holster it. Bag it. Whatever works for you. Make it happen.

1. Thou shall feel free to “skip” a trick if stuck

Seriously. Don’t get bogged down on something. It’s the sure fire way to frustration and leaving the hobby. Move on and come back. Something you learn later will make that original thing click.

At the same time…

1. thou shall practice smartly

This means not just throwing 100 of the same trick in rapid succession and making the same mistake 100 times. This was mentioned in a prior thread from 2009 I found and makes total sense. Throw it, Miss it, and think about what or why you did. Then try to adjust something and throw it again.

5a. thou shall realize there are days where you can’t land jack

It just happens for whatever reason. Put the throw down and step away slowly. Come back to it later. Don’t get frustrated.

1. Thou shall learn a “quick wind” and “quick tension adjustment” early in your arsenal

This just makes practice SO much more pleasant and efficient.

1. Thou should perform for willing non throwers.

Seriously, you can watch all the awesome people on this forum, online etc and get inspired. But doing so can sometimes frustrate you because you are nowhere close to that level.

But when you “perform” for non thrower family, friends, co workers etc who are willing to watch you will blow their minds with basic tricks like the matrix, rewind, etc. it reminds you about the progress you’ve made and the fact that you’re actually not half bad.

My kids still request repeated Eiffel towers and think I’m the 1A king. It’s the best LOL.

1. thou shall practice to music of your choice

I mean it’s just more fun and less frustrating this way. Chill house for me, maybe death metal for you. Doesn’t matter. Something you like.

1. Thou can make “combos” way earlier than you think

Go from one trick or element of a basic trick you’ve learned and jump into elements of another. Believe it or not you can make a combination way earlier in your throw career than you think. It spices it up, and is a great way to practice a variety of skills at once.

1. Thou shall maintain your posture

Friend of mine from a local Yoyo work shop who is waaaaay better than me told me I was shimmying and shaking all over the place trying to catch/land Kwyjibo. He’s a former juggler and said posture is everything. He made me standup straight and I started to land it much more consistently. Makes sense. Hard to get your fingers in the right place if you’re moving all over.

My friend recommended throwing with your back against a wall or feel planted within two tiles or other marks on your floor if you need a reference.

—————————————————

None of these commandments are magical or even that specific of course. Just little things to help you enjoy the process a little more hopefully.

8 Likes

The first two are taught in many online beginner tutorial video series. In this day and age, there’s no excuse for not finding and making use of all the good online video tutorials as one’s first step in the beginner learning process (it’s what I did).

I wish I could practice here at work. Unfortunately there’s no good place to do it. There’s nothing but hard, yoyo-destroying surfaces where I work, so my throws stay home during the week.

I wish I could snapstart a yoyo. I’ve tried and tried but I just can’t seem to make it happen.

2 Likes

Yeah I haven’t had luck with snap starting on any of my yoyos, but I did figure out a somewhat quicker way to wind up.

1 Like

Nice… any specific videos or tutorials you want to cite here?

An important skill to have when trying to figure out snapstarting (on an unresponsive yoyo) is binding a very slowly spinning yoyo. This isn’t ever mentioned in tutorial videos, but it will soon become readily apparent the moment you try to bind a snapstarted yoyo. I can rarely get a slow-spinning yoyo to bind under even the best of conditions (i.e., it’s not wobbly or off-kilter), so mastering the snapstart is challenging on two levels.

Good call. References:

like the Brandon Vu method for string tension adjustment.

As for a quicker version of a wind up, I’m still using the André hand wind up method.

https://yoyoexpert.com/learn/032-advanced-hand-start.php

Instead of my thumb I’ve been placing my index finger and middle finger of non throw hand on either side of the string. Works better for me and is a decent alternative.

Also Dylan Kowalski has an awesome video “6 ways to hand wind”. Something in here should work for everybody.

1 Like

I’ve always found hand starting with the thumb easier and better looking than snap starts

Yeah, well I suck at that too. I can’t seem to get a grip on any quick start method (no pun intended). I’m sure it’s just something I need to practice more, like everything else.