Bearings

Is a crucial groove bearings or a twisted trifecta bearing better? I am asking because if the crucial is better, i would rather get that because its cheaper.

It is all preference.

the $6 yye bearing is the best. Because it does the exact same thing as the other two, but for like half the price.

1 Like

OK, but i rather get one of those because they are concaved, the yye bearing isnt.

why does it have to concave?
The concave shape will result in virtually no difference in spin time or play. You might get a few seconds more. Maybe.

Because all of us cool guys useā€™em. :wink:

1 Like

He wants to be cool, just let him :). Also a concave just centers the string. It helps with tilting a little ;).

Maybe on a timed sleeperā€¦

In all honesty, a bearing is a bearing. Itā€™s all about preference. Whether or not X person likes Y bearing doesnā€™t mean that Z person will. I personally donā€™t like concaved bearings. I think they are overpriced, and donā€™t really do anything except bunch up your string. The only concaved bearings I like are Terrapinā€™s and Center Tracks. They bunch up the string the least, or in the case of the Terrapin, not at all. I personally just use whatever bearing comes in my yoyo, be it a Ceramic KonKave or a regular old steel bearing. I do have preferences though, and prefer the bearing One Drop has re-branded as the ā€œOne Drop 10 ball.ā€ I prefer them because they are smoother and quieter, not because they are over-hyped. I do find concaved bearings to have slipperier binds, however.

Itā€™s like music, I have my preferences and you have yours. They bring us the same thing, but in different ways.

Ummm, actually it doesnā€™t. If you have a tendency to throw a tilt, it will still be there with a KK.

1 Like

I said, ā€œA Little.ā€

I wonā€™t touch Crucial bearings with a ten foot pole. They greatly reduce the amount of possible string wraps.

Some may prefer concave or grooved bearings because flat bearings will cause the yoyo to precess, because the string is able to slide to both ends of the bearing causing the yo to turn on itself. This can get annoying because you will have to continually shift your body to keep up with the precession of the yoyo during play, and if you dont adjust with it, tilt will occur because youll start hitting the catch zones. It is physics, and if this has bothered you, go concavedā€¦ This is something that has bothered me so just trying to help:)

correction
a bad throw will cause the yoyo to precess. Iā€™ve never had that issue aside from when I was starting out. And when I was starting out, I bought a KK because I thought it would play phenomenally better.

1 Like

Itā€™s just physics. I donā€™t care how good your throw isā€¦ and although Iā€™m generally not great, Iā€™ve thrown a few beautiesā€¦ a perfect throw CANNOT always put the loop of the string at the center of the bearing. It just cannot.

Since the yoyo is then spinning with a less-than-perfect balance (the loop is out to one side), it will start to precess. Period. This isnā€™t opinion, and itā€™s not a factor of skill.

Howeverā€¦ and itā€™s a BIG ā€œhoweverā€ā€¦

You should probably only notice the ā€œproblemā€ if you sit there staring at your breakaway or sleeper. By the time youā€™ve done a trapeze, you have moved the loop elsewhere on the bearing. As you move through your first trick, you have already hit the catch zone a little bit on one side and the other. Your TH and NTH have been slightly out of alignment with each other, creating a less-than-perfect plane when you hopped your string from the front to the back.

I meanā€¦ how can the ā€œcenteringā€ of the string be so important when youā€™re busy doing tricks?

Donā€™t get me wrongā€¦ I like centering bearings and I like flat bearings. I just think that with the exception of learning new tricks (hey, I DO watch the yoyo sit at the end of a breakaway as Iā€™m lining everything up to try to perfect a Ninja Vanish or whatever!) there are more important factors to worry about.

The string wrap thingā€¦ the whole argument drives me nuts. I wonā€™t rant yet again, but suffice it to say Iā€™ve only ever seen opinion presented as fact, my own included. And so SO much of it is hearsay and parroting opinions.

Be cool, get a expensive bearing. 8)

Youā€™re not helping :stuck_out_tongue: And Iā€™ve found it somewhat reduces the vibe on a yoyo, but thatā€™s pretty much it.

@(惻ā—ćƒ»)@