Type of bearing you prefer?

Good morning fellow yo-yoers!! I was curious to see whether or not you guys prefer a center Trac or a concave? And why?

1 Like

I forgot to put my answer, I really don’t know yet because I am still very new to throwing, I’m trying to feel the differences, I’m sorry my answer stinks☹️

1 Like

i’ve tried a few, and i think i’m on the extreme ends. my favorite is the Boss Rage sold by G Squared Yoyos and the 10-ball flat bearing by OneDrop

7 Likes

Concave all the way. Better at centering the string = more stability

But there’s about to be people flooding in saying I’m just bad at yoyoing if I need a concave :man_shrugging:

9 Likes

I think I am leaning towards concave as well, but wouldn’t you think the CT would keep the string in the center??

3 Likes

It does and CT is still way better than flats. I don’t mind CTs they definitely get the job done but you asked which I prefer and it’s concaves no question

4 Likes

I may start trouble by saying this but I feel that the CT is almost a training wheel bearing , you use the CT before graduating to a concave, I could be completely wrong but that is how I sort of perceive it

2 Likes

This has been my experience with different types of bearings so far:

One drop - 10-ball: Quietest and smoothest bearing I’ve tried when used in conjunction with their yo-yos.

NSK: Longest spinning. Note: Further testing is required, of course, as I’ve only tested a few of them. But on the same yo-yo, my NSK bearings were always able to spin for a longer period of time.

Grooved: Absolutely perfect when it comes to stability. Not as long spinning as others. Tends to have some issues with multiple layers of strings.

Concave: My personal favorite type of bearing in general. Loads of stability and good at everything else as well. Depending on the brand, you’ll probably get different results. I love the NSK ones. But they’re all pretty good, at least the ones I’ve tried.

It should be noted, that some yo-yos tend to play smoother with a very specific type of bearing. But when it comes to performance, I think a concave is always an excellent choice. It all depends on what you’re looking for, and what aspect of yo-yoing you emphasize on. :slightly_smiling_face:

12 Likes

I like you! Lol that was an awesome answer!!!

3 Likes

Likewise!

2 Likes

Let me ask you this?if the yoyo comes with a center track bearing? You can put in a concave bearing correct?

2 Likes

For instance my i yoyo iceberg it came with a center track bearing but I really don’t like it it tends to rip up my string I currently have taken out the bearing and put in a concave bearing one of my better ones but it doesn’t exactly click into the bearing seat so I don’t know if that’s not correct and I’m doing damage to the yoyo or just because it’s different I don’t know

2 Likes

Yes, I’ve done it many times without issues. But there might be exceptions. Personally, the only time I ever had a issue was when I replaced the 10-ball on my One-Drop - Vtwo with a Crucial Grooved bearing. It gave it a vibe. I then switched over to a concave, and it was perfect once again.

Some types of bearings feel more loose. I don’t have an Iceberg to test this out, but the size is the same (size C), so as long as there’s no vibe, you should be fine. When you twist the halves back together, the force should be strong enough to keep a slightly loose bearing from moving at all. I’ve found Center Trac bearings to be tighter as well. But that’s not a good thing either as they get stuck and are hard to remove without an appropriate tool.

2 Likes

Cool, it’s not like it didn’t fit in the bearing seat it just kind of sat there compared to the CT that it came with kind of like clicked in a little bit if you know what mean, I gotta say I’m loving your detailed answers! Haha

2 Likes

Yup, I sure do. That’s perfectly normal. No need to worry at all.

:slightly_smiling_face: I always start by writing a couple of sentences, but somehow, I end up with a few paragraphs instead. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

I like grooved bearings best, in particular the Boss Rage bearing. I typically put one in every throw I really like (e.g., all my One Drops).

1 Like

Favorite bearings would be Pixel, YYR DS, Buddha Double, and CTX. These are some of the only bearings that are string centering and have a fat inner race. Having a thicker inner race is better for the bearing seat, as the the thicker inner race prevents the bearing from grinding into the bearing seat. image

3 Likes

i dont really care. as long as it sleeps and functions im alright

2 Likes

Pretty good topic on this recently

4 Likes

Just ordered a sample pack of Buddha bearings (they’re on sale) Whipple, Ripple, & Simple - very stoked for when they arrive…!

Does anyone else in here prefer a loud bearing to a quiet one?
I personally love the banshee-wooshes a loud bearing creates…quiet bearings trip me up after a few tricks, the lack of noise makes it difficult for me to gauge my spin time

2 Likes