Bearing causes bad vibe in my new yo-yo?

Hello,

I just got my yoyoking Merlin pro glow today.
Everything fine, good throw , great response …
Then I decided to put a Wide C bearing in my yo-yo.
It vibes like crazy! Not just a little, it is wobbling on my string.
Has this to do with the Wide C bearing?
It was all fine when I got it out of the box, with the original bearing.
Should I use the original bearing again? I don’t want to buy a new one.
All help is welcome!

5 Likes

Could just be a lemon.
What I see in reviews, some people have crazy wobble on the yoyo. But if it’s fine with slim responsive setup, why not keep it setup so?
How bad is the vibe? Does the yoyo look smooth but you feel it? That’s just life with plastic yoyos. Do you actually see wobble after trying the vibe? Then it’s just a bad one.
(Edit. It’s funny that people leave bad reviews when the bearing gets noisy, blaming the yoyo lol)

4 Likes

The vibe is pretty bad, I can’t see the yo-yo when spinning, Just a blur.
I’m going to put the original bearing back in.
It was al good, until I placed another bearing in it.
Thanks!

3 Likes

Sure thing.
A bearing shouldn’t introduce any huge vibe. It might be that there’s some defect on the hal(f/ves) that got exaggerated by the extra width. Not sure though so don’t quote me on that :joy:

2 Likes

The Merlin I had and gave away years ago was super vibey. Still fun to play responsive though. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

The Merlin doesn’t seem like something that would be very capable at Unresponsive.

1 Like

For sure. The brand seems to put out subpar, non qc yoyos with high margins. I wouldn’t buy one :joy:

2 Likes

I think this is generally true. I have a really vibey 3d printed unresponsive yoyo that is sorta smooth with a narrow bearing.

2 Likes

Some yo-yos aren’t designed for a wide bearing, that’s all it comes down to really. The new C3 Responsive Speedaholic for example - Fantastic responsive yo-yo, but if you try to put a wide bearing in it you’ll just get a ball of vibe on the end of your string.

7 Likes

It’s marketed as one that can be ‘‘upgraded with a wide’’ so I think it’s on the original seller not knowing, or just incompetent marketing, or just a lemon. We may never know.

1 Like

i just replaced the wide C bearing with the narrow one, that came with the yo-yo.
it plays perfect again. no vibe at all! strange , but yes, maybe they are not made for unresponsive play.
thanks for all the help!
I almost wanted to buy a yyf arrow glow, but yeah, money don’t grow on trees!
but, all good right here!

3 Likes

Dang really :frowning: I really liked the unresponsive one with the fingerspin cup. Absolutely amazing plastic for 20$

2 Likes

I think you should add some lube in it.I think that might improve the bearing.

It pretty much just makes it quieter. Really doesn’t ‘‘improve’’ anything

2 Likes

yes your right.

1 Like

I think you should open the bearing. @Hydrona and i also have a question Do skateboard bearings and yo-yo bearings are opened in same way?

They do open the same, but opening one really doesn’t matter if the bearing’s fine though

1 Like

Then i think there is problem in yoyo aswell.

I have seen this a handful of times, for yo-yos that ship with slim C bearing. If the weight distribution tolerances are sloppy you can get away with slim but add a wide and things degenerate.

It does depend on the yo-yo though – I’d suspect metal does much better than plastic (polycarbonate) here because metal has a relatively guaranteed density.

1 Like

Might be a dumb question could these yo-yo’s that vibe when upgraded to a wide bearing be caused by there is less axle in one side of the yo-yo half?

Just wondering.

1 Like