Basic Chopsticks help

hey everyone, so after watching worlds i got inspiration to keep practicing harder tricks but learning the basic chopsticks thumb mount is confusing. every time i successfully land the yoyo from the trapeze to the mount it will either smack my non throw index and lose a bunch of spin or tilt wayy off plane. any tips for improving to make my practice more efficient would be greatly appreciated, thanks :slight_smile:

also remy baskin at 18 is such a robbery

3 Likes

This is the trick I share with people when they want to start learning chopsticks.

I would make sure to hold the string at the tips of your fingers. Also I would try using your non throw hand yoyo finger (not index finger) and thumb for the chopsticks mount.

5 Likes

I never thought about using my middle finger or noticed that’s what he’s doing. Wow.

2 Likes

learning the chopsticks switch now, the middle finger tip helped for the room to land, i think i just need to keep practicing. thanks!

3 Likes

Here are two videos that go into details about chopsticks by Sakatuca. They are Japanese, but you can turn the captions on with auto translate and it picks up a surprising amount of the content. The first one goes into 5 points about learning chopsticks that are really helpful. The second one is a more comments about chopsticks based on feedback he received from the first video. There are comments in both of these that are really helpful and that I haven’t seen anywhere else. I also haven’t seen anyone else conceptualize the details of any yoyo movement this thoroughly and they are both worth a watch.

It’s like too much info for me to type out here but watching these and practicing some of the exercises in here has me feeling way way more comfortable with chopsticks.

3 Likes

Using a smaller diameter yoyo if you got one helps.

3 Likes

This the first point in the first sakatucatut he goes smaller yo-yos makes chopsticks simply easier and says go small to large and it will be harder to learn with a larger Yoyo.

3 Likes

I learned chopsticks from that Colin Beckford chopstick slack video you sent me. That trick is hard still haven’t got it.

2 Likes