Bad Experience Buying from @doctor_filthy

Note: This was first posted on the CLYW BST which is where I actually made the trade. Since the same yoyos were posted on here as well it seems relevant to post here, as a warning to other people.

I first messaged @Doctor_Filthy back in September looking to buy a Kodiak and Borealis, you can see the closed YoYoExpert thread he had also posted around that time here: FS: CLYW Pair

He was a bit slow to respond early on but was super positive and did seem to ship them. Unfortunately, the tracking number showed they never even arrived to the post office. After about a month with no updates to the tracking number I had to ask for a refund, which Doctor Filthy was very quick to agree to. From there, he strung me along for another month by making excuses, and did eventually refund 25% of what I paid but stopped responding altogether after I sent a few messages asking for an update in early November.

At that point I opened a dispute with my credit card which was recently denied, since credit card companies will not reverse Venmo charges. I should have posted a thread like this a LONG time ago but was worried that there would be no chance of getting my money back. Unfortunately, it looks like I will not be getting my money back regardless.

I would be much more inclined to believe his excuses if I had not seen him in the MonkeyFinger BST several times since I last messaged him in November, looking to buy return tops valued much higher than the amount I have been trying to get back. That, coupled with the package never arriving at the post office in the first place leads me to believe I have been scammed.

I would not recommend trading with Doctor Filthy, here or elsewhere.

If mods need proof I do have receipts for everything said here and I am happy to provide it. Also if this does not fit here I can remove it/post elsewhere.

Also, learn from my mistakes and do not use Venmo or any other service without purchase protection to BST!

10 Likes

Filthy always wants top dollar for his listings too. Like sheeesh!
Sorry that happened to you.

5 Likes

Seems like this has happened before

11 Likes

It’s sad to see another bad experience with him, this is strike #2 on here. I consider him a friend and he’s never done me less than great but that’s not how he treats the community all the time and there needs to be consistency here. Sorry this happened man.

4 Likes

Same here, I know it doesn’t help the current situation and I’m sorry to hear it too, as I’ve only had positive interactions so far as well.

Outside of one shipment that routed to Puerto Rico for some reason after it got to about 2 hours from my house, haha, but that wasn’t his fault for sure.

3 Likes

If anybody does you wrong collin, come get me. We’ll pull up on 'em. :laughing::laughing:

5 Likes

I really appreciate the support. I held off posting this because I hoped it would work out, especially because so many other people have had good experiences buying from him, but unfortunately it doesn’t seem like that’s going to happen.

2 Likes

Time & time again we hear the same story of scamming someone for not using protection from Pay Pal…….
I’ve seen these “got scammed” posts….
Please pay attention & use protection that’s only 1-2% of your $$$……& keep it safe guys & gals……
I guarantee you’ll be much happier……
No Venmo too!

7 Likes

I’m from the g&s team all the way for this reason.

5 Likes

With a lot of people usually asking for F&F, how best have you found to typically calculate those G&S fees accurately to try and cover when purchasing?
I haven’t seen many topics on that specifically and I think that’s what also holds a lot of people back from going that route as well.

2 Likes

It is usually around 3%, so only a few dollars. It is recent changes making it so Paypal reports it as income to be taxed that some people seem to be trying to avoid. Also Paypal seems to hold onto money longer for some people when suddenly doing a lot of transactions.

2 Likes

No problem man, as much as I love the dude, it’s not right to do this to people. He’s active in the MFD every day. He sent me a OG Borials in HorseHead Nebula as a gift, I brought him into the zoo and helped him get his first MFD, sold him a 12/12 AP for 100$, he’s always always done me so solid but I’m definitely worried for others to interact with him. I still need to send him a thank you box for hooking me up with my last couple throws. That still won’t stop me from advocating against dealing with him safely and thank you for speaking up to protect others. Idk what you believe in but I know every wrong will be righted.

2 Likes

There are a few third party Paypal fee calculators that seem to be pretty accurate. Paypal should offer that as well, but they just have a page where the fees are described.

G&S is fine IMHO if you know the buyer as well. Scams can work both ways. Thankfully so far, I’ve had no issues with either F&F or G&S, buying or selling. A couple of “ehhhh, did you need to put your worst bearing in this before shipping?” or “Mint? Really, my dude?” but never didn’t receive essentially what was offered. And most people seem to be very careful about their conditions, photos and descriptions and almost as verbose as me on communications. So…we’ve got that going for us atm.

2 Likes

@Derragyn paypal G&S fees are 3%, jsut add 3%

1 Like

Thanks. One of free calculators lied to me. (Edited. I was looking at merchant fees)

2 Likes

its 2.99%, essentially 3 lol

there is no fixed fee for G&S, taken directly from their website. only commercial/merchant transactions have fixed fees + percentages. ive received money for yoyos from all kidns of countries and its only ever been 3%

1 Like

Great. You’re right, I’ll edit. The rest of my initial comment was really the point that seems to matter to people who I’ve dealt with.

2 Likes

i’d be frustrated if paypal held onto my money, luckily never experienced that

2 Likes

I wont try and defend my self. People mess up. But people also have opinions. I have tried to help sa many people as i could and there we times of struggle. Just because you see something be posted for ToP dOlLAR doesnt mean im out here trying to scam people. In all honesty. I forgot about that situation. Tho only other "bad encounter i had was because of a booty hurt little revolving yoyo door. Honestly i dont care. Do business with me or not. Ban me or not. I have seen/heard some straight up way more crooked stuff going on throughout forums and bst than someone making one damn mistake. Dont act sympathetic and then tell the person never mind…because then they stop caring…then again i forget this place is full of snowflakes with the absoulte BEST of accurate opinions…and also, dont trust anyone…friends dont exist, especially on the internet. :v:

1 Like

*two

Only one thing matters here though: did you get @wolfwithamelon his money back yet?

4 Likes