August 23rd, Edgeless release date

When is that live chat? I’d love to set an alarm.

1 Like

You have to be absolutely the ‘only’ person confused about this.

6 Likes

Probably.

I am easily confused by the dearth of clear definitions for most of the terms thrown around by players, manufacturers, and marketing departments.

4 Likes

Thanks Andre - I would be very interested in attending the live instagram chat with Evan Nagao. I’ve come up with a few questions that hopefully would be interesting to other people listening in (I know I will), and hopefully encourage a great discussion:

1] Do you think you will miss the yoyo competition scene after some time and may decide on the possibility of coming back one day? What were your thoughts with Gentry edging you out by a small fraction to take the 1A spot this year?
2] Will you still be involved with YoyoFactory in terms of promoting the sport as well as going on live tours to promote your products?
3] What were your motivations for designing the Edgeless yoyo the way it is right now?
4] Can you confirm what yoyo you used when you competed on the 2019 WYYC - is it the rumored Edge Ultimate/Infinity? Can you divulge some teaser/information on that yoyo, as well as how it will be different from the Edge Beyond?
5] Has the thought of forming your own yoyo production company ever crossed your mind ?

3 Likes

My thoughts is that since they have designed the Edgeless to have a hollow area inside the cavity, maybe they are trying to design a yoyo that has the advantage of a bi-metal in terms of longer spin time, while still having the light and even-weightedness of a monometal. This might be done by concentrating the mass to the outer rim and have a hollow area on the middle part of the rims - all while adopting a mono metal design. But I’m no yoyo expert designer by any means so its just a hunch. This could be the reason why people with reputation here seem to swear it feels great (‘amazing performance’) after they played with this yoyo. For a yoyo to be smooth when it has a hollow cavity probably is an engineering feat on its own.

1 Like

Maybe, but that’s an odd equivalency because to my mind, performance and feel are almost entirely different types of qualities (performance sits somewhere on the objective side of the spectrum, while feel is squarely at the subjective endpoint of the spectrum). :thinking:

1 Like

When we’re talking modern yo-yos how much does it really matter? How many non competitive yoyoers need that extra spin time and stability of a bimetal vs a 6061 monometal?

2 Likes

That’s a really good question. It seems to be important enough to stress in the ad copy though, so it must matter to a lot of prospective buyers…

2 Likes

It’s probably more to do with the rest of Evan’s line being super wide, rim weighted designs with competitive yo-yo in mind and this being the complete opposite. Reassuring people that it still a high end yo-yo even though it lacks the traditional Nagao design type.

1 Like

Is there a planned time for the drop?

1 Like

Also this may be a better question for @yyfben2.deactivated but is this a one-time drop, or will I be able to buy one in November pretty easily?

2 Likes

For sure I enjoy the extra spin time - especially when I’m trying to learn to string several combos - I could try several times before having to start all over again. However, after playing for almost a couple of years now, I am convinced I prefer the even-weighted feel of a good monometal (matter of personal preference) vs a bi-metal… but still kept on looking for that extra spin time that a bi-metal can afford. Maybe this Edgeless is the one I have been looking for.

1 Like

Midnight release! :v:

3 Likes

Just confirmed - 7pm EST on Instagram live.

5 Likes

In answer to one of your questions, I’m pretty sure Evan was using the Edge Infinite for Worlds this year. I had the amazing luck to play with it, as I was in Phoenix the day before they left for worlds and swung by Yoyofactory. It’s hard to tell from the video, but the beefier rims make me pretty sure it is. Plays super nice too, although I’m more a fan of organics myself

2 Likes

I agree and disagree at the same time. Performance is objective only if measured against certain parameters. Cars - cornering performance, straight line drag, stopping distance, etc. Offroad vehicles - could be slow rock climbing or massive speed up a near vertical hill. Gymnastics performace could be floor performance or the twirly streamer things or a horse etc. List can go on and on. For speed performance or competition yoyo performance is measured differently. Performance of the edgeless is set against a different set of parameters than what is needed for a competition and apparently it performs very well in that context.

3 Likes

Fair enough.

In that case, the parameters and context for this other, different meaning of the word “performance” needs to be explained for dimwits like me who haven’t been around long enough to know all the subtle variations in meaning a common word like this apparently has (in the yoyo world). Otherwise a yoyo’s qualities (like those of the Edgeless) will feel grossly misrepresented by those of us who have a set of expectations based on a simpler view of the hobby.

1 Like

Ok; now that you got that all ironed out; let’s get to the next high intensity conundrum.

Marshmallows…

Do you feel the average person has reached a realistically accurate conclusion; when describing the: texture, color, flavor, meltiness potential and squishy rebound factor; when relating a personal experience with said confection?

Or do you feel people exhibit a more Wild West/no specific parameters approach when speaking on the Marshmallow subject?

And thus; perpetuating the continued Myths surrounding the actual characteristics of said confection?

7 Likes

Tonight!!!

https://www.instagram.com/p/B1dALPqBn6f/

6 Likes

@AndreBoulay
I was not aware that there was such a thing as a “Two Finger technique” for fingerspins. It just had not occured to me until I read this post. So, I immediately tried it and found that I was able to fingerspin the majority of my collection…pretty much everything with a suitable grind finish. Thanks for that tiny bit of info.

5 Likes