At Design Zero

Just tried it.

the only OneDrop yoyo bearings that you can remove by hand, at least of the ones I have, are the ones with side effect, all the others are firmly in place.
Do you want my explanation? the side effects cannot accommodate the bearings with precision, not to save the seat but due to constructional needs, if the seat on it fits firmly with the internal race of the bearing, during the disassembly of the halves you would risk that friction force between the side effect and bearing is greater than that between the o-ring and the half of the yoyo and… and you won’t be able to open it.
however, where they have not had this need, they have always opted for precise and well-fitting seats (including sovereign, and titanium tends to seize by itself).

In the specific case of the yoyo, there is also another aspect, the internal track of the bearing is in any case held firm by the walls of the seat in the cups, however the fact that the pin has no adherence is not a positive thing in my opinion. However, the story is another, the bearing manufacturers do not produce bearings for yoyos but bearings for general use, therefore bearings with lumps of machining on the tracks do not exist. not even the lowest quality ones.

So then the bearing does not specifically "need"a good grip on the post if the internal track is held firm by the walls of the bearing seat?

I have 6 others that do the same. I 'm pretty sure the 99% of the community will agree.

7 Likes

Its really a matter of tolerancing the proper fit. OD is very consistent. For the application of YOYO the post does not to be tight.

Why not?

2 Likes

in my opinion yes… or all the manufacturers, except OD, continue to make mistakes…

well, I speak for the ones I have, try it and see if you can

• project
  • markmont og
  • project two
    -y factor
  • sovereign
    after Dietz I no longer bought yoyos made by them and despite their age and the use they make, they present no problems in their precise locations.
    so what is the use of a non-adherent seat?
1 Like

you just have to keep reading, I explained it to you in the following lines…

1 Like

I thought you were saying that its not possible to machine side effects with any sort of accuracy. I was asking why.

Upon reading it closer are saying they do this intentionally (loose fit) because of the o-ring?

I believe the only function of the O-Ring is to keep the SE from falling out of the yoyo when the two halves are unscrewed. I’m pretty sure they don’t have any other mechanical function.

in OD they are capable of working any tolerance we need, of this I am sure, as I am sure that when you screw the two halves of the yoyo your hands act on the cups, not on the side effects, what creates the connection and that so it transmits the rotation force from your hands (therefore from the cups) to the side effects it’s just the o-ring and it’s not a strong connection… if a greater force opposes the cups they would slide on the side effects. If there were no o-rings you would have an axis system similar to that of the Anti-yo BSP and in fact you can only tighten them with a slotted screwdriver by means of its notches

1 Like

Bearing post doesn’t have to be tight, but OD is an OEM and can make as little or as many yoyos as they want for a run to get a size acceptable for them that is A grade smooth. Much harder for this to occur for companies that use OD machining not named OD (ART for example is known for having not the best quality control and are mostly made with OD)

Chinese shops (where 99% of yoyos are made) use a tight bearing seat because it is a ton more consistent in producing smooth A grade yoyos. Unfortunately vibe plays a big role in today’s market; even the slightest vibe past expectation and there is a post like this (not bashing on OP, this post is 100% warranted) that can kill that yoyo/companies sales, even if the company fixes the issue. There’s thousands of them between here and FB and reddit since I’ve started yoyoing back in 08.

In this specific case it looks like a mix of tight bearing seat and slightly oversized bearings.
It sucks, but it happens. OP probably got a sour grape, and the company reached out to them to fix it.

9 Likes

yes, good point. I missed that. Never did play BSP.

@hobbygod That makes complete sense. I bet we all wish we had a machine shop in the garage!! That said… I wonder how much OD typically scraps. Probably a topic for a different post. It has to be hard for small shops like yourself to maintain a high level of QC while squeaking out some amount of profit. Glad to see that in this case (an most from what I’ve seen) the company stepped up to fix the issue.

1 Like

OD has much more than a mechanical workshop in the garage… it has beautiful professional CNCs, a great experience of its machinist (gained well before starting to make yoyos, even if not with a lathe but a milling machine, which is perhaps also more complex). Really a beautiful reality.
I always watch this “documentary” with great pleasure at 8:07 you can see their beautiful “workshop”

4 Likes

OneDrop have the best bearing posts in the game. They have worked very hard to dial it in perfectly. On every one of my Onedrop yoyos the bearing can be removed with fingers whether a side effect model or not.

I just don’t believe that tight fitting bearings are necessary for producing smooth yoyos.

13 Likes

Wanted to give an update for this. We met up today and I received a normal coated version as a replacement and a new bearing that would fit the silky coating. I also got to test out their new norm throw and it definitely reminds me of an og stargazer in a good way.

I gave the standard coated zero version a quick test unscrew and screwed it back together and we have success! It’s a tight but no issues when unscrewing or screwing this.

Switching this over to a pay it forward if anyone wants to check it out.

17 Likes

I just want to add further that I believe that tight bearing posts are indicitave of a lack of proper R&D. I don’t believe that this is laziness on the yoyo company’s part, but the overseas machine shops. It’s easier to make bearing posts with a ‘death grip’ than spend time perfecting tolerances. Death grip means you will hit smooth more often, that is, until bearing is removed. I know I will have to really push for FPM to make the bearing seats in further models of mine thousandths of a mm narrower.

1 Like

I would be interested to give it a try. Will you be created a different thread?

I had 0 issues getting FPM to make my yoyo with loose bearing posts. I also had 0 issues with vibe, they all came out perfect thanks to FPM’s machining quality.

4 Likes

I’m also interested in trying this!

Glad to hear it. They are very reluctant to make anything for me that is thousands of a mm narrower than 6.35mm.

2 Likes

I just told them that a big concern for me was the fitment of the bearing post, and that I would rather have it loose, and possibly vibe, rather than a tight bearing post. Hopefully you can work it out with them.

2 Likes