As usual, there's a lot going on at One Drop

I want that Black/Clear ;D

I ainā€™t ever going to let it go!

1 Like

Will these be a limited run? Swapped halves only at retail? Retail price? Release date?

I read somewhere that Sonny might have given/sold/etc. the Kuntosh to One Drop. Is that true?

Also, what are the dimensions and weight?

Full announcement coming very soon :slight_smile:

Cool. Itā€™s a shame that the new Kuntosh isnā€™t going to have Anti-Yoā€™s Slip Matte Type III Hard Coat finish like with the original. I hear that finish is awesome for grinding.

I REALLY hope that there will be a hard coat finish eventually.

Whats a hard coat finish? ā€¦ i mean its pretty self explanatory i guessā€¦ a layer of some substance over the metal to give it the desired tactile feelā€¦but what is this tactile feel?

In yoyoing hardcoat usually means anodized with no color, to retain the silver color while protecting the surface from small scratches.

No, hardcoat usually refers to a different anodization process. I canā€™t remember what itā€™s called. Type-3 or something. Iā€™ve seen it in different colours including blue and black. I donā€™t imagine the process determines the available colour palette.

Hard Coat Anodizing (Type 3) gives a much thicker, and therefore, tougher, oxide coating to the aluminum than the more common Type 2 typically seen on yoyos. Yoyos being hard coated have to be machined to different tolerances due to the thicker oxide layer being added, up to 0.003 inches, compared to 0.0001-0.0008" thickness for Type 2. Also, there are more limited coloring options for hard coatā€¦

db

2 Likes

I use to think the same thing, but I spoke with someone that really knows hardcoat, and they said the different machining really isnā€™t necessary.

Great thing with the Kuntosh, is it was originally done in hardcoat. Sooooo, if OD made them exact as they did in the past, itā€™d be easy to eventually do a run in Slip Matte. Which I really hope they do. I want a solid black hardcoat Kuntosh more than I can tell you ;D

When you consider the mechanical differences between a slip fit and a press fit of a bearing on a post, yes, you do need to take the anodization process into accountā€¦ and that goes for any anodization or plating process, not just hard coat!

db