Are there any tricks you were surprised how easily you learned them?

I have been working my way through the trick list you get with purchases from YYE. Quite a few of the tricks took me some time to learn, like several days or even weeks, even some of the most simple ones. The last trick on the list is Kwijibo and I had been working my way up to this one, gradually building my confidence, the time came and I thought I will set aside a few nights and try and get this trick down. Within about 3 or 4 attempts I landed it and a few tries later I had it down, it just clicked for some reason.

This got me wondering about others experience. Are there any tricks you were surprised by how easy you learned them? And I guess a bonus question on the flip side, are there any “simple” tricks that you struggled to learn?

6 Likes

I never followed any trick list. Last week I saw a vid for the Guy Wright Bind and wanted to learn it but figured It’d be too difficult and now it’s the bind I do 95% of the time. I completely shocked myself.

8 Likes

I’m still trying to get the Guy Wright bind correct. But Eli hops were fairly easy for me. If only boingy boing was as easy.

6 Likes

Two front style tricks come to mind…

Way easier than I thought: Mach 5

Way harder: Pop N Fresh

6 Likes

I saw revoltuions when I was new to yoyoing and thought it’d take me so long to learn it. Later on I gave it a shot after seeing @Modern_yoyos do it so much; got it down in <1hr then only did revolutions for 2 weeks. Also got spirit bomb in a couple hours.

Hook, jade whip and iron whip I can land, sometimes, but I still struggle with. Also I agree @Roman_Soup I’m pretty confident in my hops but pop n fresh is way harder than I expected.

6 Likes

Gondola:
I’ve watched a tutorial and was confused, thought that’s way too difficult for me.
Few days later, i was improvising and landed a brother slack in a houdini mount. Somehow, i did that slack part from gondola right after and thought “That looks kind of familiar!”
I’ve watched the tutorial again and landed it second try.

Bonkers repeater:
When i first saw this trick, i thaught it’s dead easy and pure fun.
I was struggling with this trick for 2 days, then i could land it 6/10 times. I begun analyzing, what i’m doing wrong. Since that, i land it 2/10 times.
At the moment, Bonkers and me don’t speak to eachother…

2 Likes

If I didn’t watch trick videos and read this forum I would have no idea what you were talking about. :rofl: we have our own language at times

3 Likes

I knew nothing when I started.
No never not even once they have all been challenging practice practice, quality practice.

What has worked for me is watching everything a player does in tutorial videos. Watching more than one players tutorials doing the same trick that you are trying to learn. The small things that are different to each player will be brought out in different tutorial videos, to make a more complete explanation on how to do a trick. This has worked for me hope it works for others.
Have a great week

3 Likes

Maybe that’s also because i’ve never really learned english. All the english i know, i learned from listening to music, watching yo-yo videos and communicating with other throwers.
If i use wrong words or make terrible mistakes, feel free to correct me!

2 Likes

That’s interesting. Kwijibo is where I am currently on the YYE trick ladder and I’ve been doing it for a few weeks and still only land it about 1/3 of the time I try. Most of the time I end up with extra wraps around my NTH pointer or in a brother mount with an extra wrap on the TH pointer. A lot of the time when I do land it, the back string is on my wrist or hand rather than my finger.

The only trick that I can remember landing easily after the first or second try was the Plastic Whip. Everything else has taken what feels like a lot of time and practice.

3 Likes

Oh no. Nothing like that. I just meant by using all the names of tricks and mounts and binds together it wouldn’t make sense to an outsider that doesn’t know the proper terms. But we all got it.

2 Likes

Beef hook

2 Likes

Plastic whip toook me days and I am still only around 40% accuracy at best. It was tricks like Plastic Whip which made me think Kwijibo would be so difficult

2 Likes

I can say that most tricks are easier than they look I always tell people to try it before quitting . It may take more time to learn but you will get it .

5 Likes

Slack follow was a trick that I thought would be really challenging, especially since I struggled so much with Jade and Iron whip. I do think follow is easier than those.

2 Likes

Magic Trick and Gentrified both seemed like they would be harder. Just following Ann’s tutorial seemed impossible. I learned both in about two hours on back to back nights. Definitely give them a shot!

5 Likes

Gentrified. Was able to do it after maybe 20 attempts (not master by any means). Yet I still can’t skin da freakin’ gerbil after hundreds of tries.

2 Likes

Yuuki Slack.

Tried and gave up originally, came back to it years later and it took maybe an hour to land (I spent DAYS on it before and it never clicked).

When i finally landed it, I realized it kind of just feels like youre flinging the yoyo around the pinch and its not that satisfying.

2 Likes

That was exactly my experience also. Even that cheese-whip entry to wrist mount turned out to be no big deal. When I first saw that, I figured no way in h3ll.

2 Likes

Rejection to GT , I hit it consistently after about 5 attempts, and it’s one of the most satisfying tricks to land lol
I legitimately got this one consistently before I “figured out” how to do a Ninja Vanish. :man_facepalming:t5::joy:

2 Likes