Anyone with experience with a partial tear ligament in the elbow?

I was back home helping my brother clean and organize a storage unit at the end of August.

I never felt a “pop”, I did not have any bruising at my elbow but after googling I feel my symptoms I was having the day I flew back home fall close to experiencing a partial tear.

The day I flew back, when standing I could not raise my hand to adjust my glasses, had to use my left.

It was very painful rotating my hand from palm up to palm down.

I could not extend my elbow completely

And it was extremely painful writing anything.

Now since August 31st after icing, and taking ibuprofen, I no longer feel any of that discomfort, but I do feel a twinge anytime I try to put some oomph in my yo-yoing.

I’ve resorted to practicing with my left hand just to get my yo-yo fix. (feel incredibly dumb)

I feel I am on the mend, but wondering what I was experiencing.

3 Likes

Sounds like you’re doing what you should. Hopefully it’s not torn but stressed. Hope it improves for you without a doctor appointment

1 Like

This may or may not be similar, but I spent a few weeks learning tricks that required a hard throw and combined with the light-medium lifting I do at work (a few dozen ~30lb boxes a day) resulted in some distracting pain. I didn’t go to the doctor, my pain never got to the point where I couldn’t lift my hand, but the pain was annoying and put a damper on my yoyo to the point where I severely reduced the amount of throwing I did. I did some off hand looping and light throwing on the dominant hand, but it wasn’t great. My self/internet-diagnosis was that it was golfer’s elbow. The treatments recommended were some exercises that were pretty easy, but I’m lazy and only did them for a day or two. Going easy on it for a few weeks seemed to help it “go away” so I’m pretty much back to normal, but when I’m learning anything that requires a fast throw (whips and brent stoles have been the recent culprits), I do start to feel it after a while.

2 Likes

I can understand. About 4 months ago I spent an evening working on DNA, and the next day it felt like my elbow wanted to explode. But I was fine in two days.

Sad thing, it’s probably old age catching up to me.

1 Like

That sounds more like a tendinopathy type presentation to me than a ligament tear. The mechanism for the injury doesn’t really suggest a ligamentous origin of pain. Is the pain more on the pinky side of the elbow? Sounds like you just did a bit too much when it came to helping clean and organize, and caused some inflammation in a muscle tendon at the elbow. You may benefit from seeking out a physical therapist if it’s not improving.

3 Likes

Man just got some free professional advice.

No experience with that but I Herniated a disk in my spine a decade ago and never got it checked out till my wife finally forced me to a dr and it was surgery or lose of bowel control. I took surgery. Not the same as your thing but my quality of life was shot for a long time and I let it degrade pretty far without realizing how bad it had gotten. All that to say take care of yourself you don’t get quality time back and no one is handing out rewards at the end for the person that suffered the hardest in silence.

Also I didn’t know my disk was bulging or whatever until I had an mri a decade after my injury to identify my pain and the tech was like yo I can’t say more but get a surgeon.

1 Like