Anyone into tea?

If your like “I like chamomile sometimes” Im not talking to you. If you are super stoked because you scored some real Fushushan to put in your ROC Zhuni, I am talking to you.
Im pretty pumped about The quality Lishans about to be released for sale. I always stock up on Dayuling. I have a good 95K source. Ive got enough sheng to drink it everyday for about 5 years. Mostly Menghi/Dayi stuff thats 7-12 years old. Im a huge Dancong fan as well. I have about half a dozen F1 pots. 1 is an early 70s Hongni.
Im hoping some of you understood what I just said.

17 Likes

Bubble tea?

:joy::joy:

I mean, I like Thai tea too…

8 Likes

I know some of these words! ^

I’ve never turned down a cup of good tea, and I have several friends that drink rather expensive teas, but I just never got into it. I wound up into craft beer instead.

1 Like

Oh, I like my craft beer too. When it comes to alchohol, I am a Cognac drinker. I keep several quality XO’s around at all times. The nice thing about tea is that I can drink it all day every day with having a “problem”.

7 Likes

I enjoy green tea occasionally and I always order unsweet tea with no lemon at restaurants and I like to drink it straight up. Does that count?!?

3 Likes

I’m starting to get into tea! Just bought some loose leaf and an infuser today!

2 Likes

Your on your way. Get yourself some quality loose leaf tea, and its a whole new world:)

2 Likes

Awesome! Did you get any balled oolongs? Be careful with infusers. One of the key elements is to allow the tea to unfurl fully. Sometimes infusers are too tight.
Look up Gong Fu brewing when you want to go to the next level

1 Like

I don’t know half of what’s in your post other than “tea” but I’m very interested now

5 Likes

I drink the crap out of Yorkshire tea.

3 Likes

Big English Breakfast fan myself
72f5ee32c736a3c059c566d7351e9523

2 Likes

I have oficially weaned myself off of coffee and now I like tea of all sorts!

1 Like

This is my setup. This particular pot is pure silver. Really brings out the high notes in my Gaoshan

12 Likes

Where the bonsai trees at?

3 Likes

I’ve been wanting to step up my matcha game

1 Like

That’s a nice setup! Mine is a lot simpler: bootleg Teavana PerfecTea infuser (the legit version wasn’t available through Amazon when my old one broke) and I usually just drink out of a mug.

A college buddy of mine runs a tea shop so I usually get my loose leaf teas from her. I’m actually due for a restock on sencha. Also have some King Tea green oolong from Ten Ren that a friend gave my wife for her birthday. Not sure of grade etc but it tastes great.

My wife also occasionally enjoys a cup of mate in the morning.

2 Likes

348s

7 Likes

Am Chinese, so I know what you are talking about. Tho i am by no means a tea person. Its definitely an interesting feeling to hear people discuss something that i pretty much take for granted. I guess this is what it feels like when an italian hear people discuss pepperoni pizza vs hawaian? Not a good analogy tho, because you are discussing legit tea… i dont really think about it tho… when i drink tea its normally during meal or visiting someone… so normally, i pick teas that goes well… if you are eating sour foods, you want a slightly more bitter tea to wash it down… i may go for something more floral if its a light meal… but normally when you have been to a restaurant a few times you know which tea they serve are the good stuff, and we just pick the good stuff… its weird but this is like discussing rice… we dont pick restaurant because they have amazing rice or tea, but bad tea and rice is like the hugest of red flag.

If i am to have one thing to say about tea is… when i think about tea, i am NOT thinking about sweetened tea… i enjoy sweetened tea like anyone else… but they are completely different things

5 Likes

Thanks so much for joining the conversation! Its great to get the viewpoint on tea of the average person from China. I have many friends in China and Taiwan, but they are all because of tea so they are heavily ingrained in the tea culture. Where in China are you? I suppose its easy to take it for granted when you live there. Everyone drinks tea all the time. Its like making a conversation about spring water vs tap water vs bottled water. LOL. The standard tea you get in a bag here would make you relate to me better. Once you get some good tea, most of the stuff in the west is undrinkable. We also need to pay a premium for importing good tea. I usually pay $1-$2 USD per gram of tea. Sometimes Ill splurge on some $3-$4 yancha. I wish I could even get the Longjing you have access to. The best stuff never leaves China.
Do Chinese people drink tea from Taiwan, or is it pretty much just local teas?
Oh, and if you ever see something in my BST you like, A good sheng cake is always a good trade offer XD

4 Likes

Am from Hong Kong. Southern China is pretty into the dark roasted tea, so none of that green tea nonsense… my stomach cant actually handle the “good stuff” where it gets super dark. My aunt is really big into tea, but specifically iron buddha only, so our whole family mostly drinks that, but even within iron buddha there are so many variety.

We never use tea bags, notice you actually use a tea set. Have you tried yixing clay teapots and cups? Not sure thats a rabit hole you want to dive into as it gets expensive pretty quick. My mom was friends with a few master craftsman of them so we got a few nice ones for free.

So my knowledge of tea is pretty limited to just the super dark iron buddha, which my stomach cant handle. Its actually pretty easy to tell the good stuff from the bad, cuz you get so many layers of flavour, but then my stomach is gona hurt for hours. You are probably right that the good stuff dont leave china. All of the really good stuff i tried are always some relatives visiting from a place that just had a good batch and they just use it as gifts. Its really weird, its probably considered rude to just hike the price when you get a good batch so they just use it as gift for special occasions.

2 Likes