Anyone have/had a MCMO and the new Legendary 888?

As you can probably guess, I’m looking to get a new yo-yo and I’m between these two. The main problem is that the L888 is new…lol so I can’t find any real reviews or anything yet (aside from one unboxing vid). I was originally going to get the MCMO because I read nothing but amazing things, as far as organics go. However, then I saw this new and improved 888 aaannddd I’m having a nostalgia kick because that was the first high end I owned back in ‘07 (lol which then led to an ocho8ocho, Higby, Augie Flash(?) and one or two other editions that I can’t remember).

Anywho! Normally I would say that the MCMO is the clear winner but the new rims for the 888 really have me wondering. Thanks for any info! And money isn’t a consideration since they’re both very similar.

3 Likes

Since you know how 888s play I’d go with the mmco. They play very diffrent. I have a Higby 888 and a Ti and I’ll say this Legendary doesn’t disappoint… but I’m not sure it’s that diffrent in play. If money is really not a issue I’d say grab both because they are both fantastic organics.

5 Likes

Honestly they are so completely different I would have to suggest you decide if you want underside or fullsized. Love both the 888 line and also own too many MC and MCMO’s; either is a great option although I lean MC/MCMO because of the playstyle options.

3 Likes

Personally I am a sucker for the 888 and have 8 of them lol. The new L888 is probably my favorite since the OG 07’/08’ ones. They feel super premium in your hand and mine came dead smooth.

1 Like

So would it be as I expect then and the MCMO is the better all arounder? I thought maybe the new rims made the 888 play noticeably different and possibly closer to a full sized yo-yo in performance.

I’ll probably go with the MCMO then….lol I just don’t like the shiny, solid color options available. I really wanted one of those swirls they had available before but would’ve even been happy with a solid matte!

1 Like

I had the opposite experience with my Legendary 888. I don’t think it’s worth the price tag at all - mine came with a level of vibe (with stacks removed) that I consider unacceptable for a $140 shipped yoyo. I’ve been disappointed with other recent YYF releases as well, which has led me to believe that their QC process is a bit lacking. I’m not too picky about vibe on my cheap yoyos, but after shelling out for a Ti 888 and Legendary 888 that both felt too imprecise to warrant their price tags, I think I am calling it quits on YYF’s more expensive stuff. The MCMO, even though it’s not my favorite yoyo manufactured by One Drop, is very well made and has an impeccable reputation for good reasons.

4 Likes

Yeah I was originally looking at the MCMO and the Diorama but ultimately decided on the MCMO. Lol and funny you should mention that about the YFF’s because that was the only thing making me hesitant with seeing complaints about QC on the Legendary’s.

1 Like

I would definitely lean with it for the all-arounder aspect.

1 Like

Does the 888L have more weight/power when you throw it compared to the regular 888, or is it just different in other ways?

Yes in my opinion it plays much more rim weighted due to the large titanium rings but doesn’t feel like a rock on the string. If you enjoy undersized throws i would go with this all day. Plays very floaty as well without the stacks on it

1 Like

The legendary 888 I received is very smooth. For a nice pocket throw I can’t complain. But, being small you have to be precise with whatever you’re doing. Actually makes me a better player, such as it is. :grinning:

MCMO is in my top 3 favorite throws easy. Favorite organic for sure.