M1 or Dv888???

I really really don’t need to buy one of these. I’m trying to talk myself out of it. Or at least get myself to hold out until December so I can justify it as a Christmas present to myself. But should I give in, what are your recommendations between an M1 or Dv888? Or then is there a third that you think is just the best ever?

I have a DM. Love it. (and in a way feel guilty about looking at other yoyos. Is that odd? Like I’m cheating or something) Anyway, I really like the way it feels in the hand and on the string. And it’s not that I need another DM but that gives us a point of reference for what I’m used to.

The only metal I’ve ever gotten a hold of was a Speed Dial. Didn’t care for it.

So what brilliant insights or advice do you have?

And thanks for you time.

First, Answer these couple of questions

(I recommend that if someone or yourself post like these kinds of thread. “What/Which Is better.” Just post these couple of questions. ;))

1. What size do you prefer? (Big, small, medium, etc)
  2. What shape do you prefer? (Be specific: Round Butterfly, Flat Rims, pointy shape, H-Shape)
  3. What response do you prefer? (Silicone, O-Ring, Hybrid, Pad, etc)
  4. Do you like to mod/maintain it?
  5. Does color matter?
  6. How does your style relate to the yoyo? (What kind of tricks do you like to do?)
  7. What is your price range?
  8. What is your skill level?
  9. What weight is ideal?

Yeah! :smiley:

What size and shape?

That's why I mentioned the DM.  I really like it's size and shape, but didn't care so much for the speed dial.  

Modding… I don’t see the need in doing much.

Price range, aren’t they basically the same?

Really I’m just wanting to know why some like one over the other. I’d like to try and figure out things from there. I’ve never had the chance to use one, and I won’t unless I buy one. In an ideal world I’d try them both out and go from there.

Then don’t.

1 Like

Well, in my opinion the M1 has too thin of a profile. I love my Dv888, personally, but if you like your Dark Magic and your Throw Monkey, that means you like big throws, and neither of them are even close to being big. So…you decide. ;D

I’d get the M1 right now because it’s being liquidated.

^yup. Go with that, the M1 won’t be around for much longer (only 33 left now at onedrop) adn you can always get a dv888 later if you dont like the M1 (the M1 will sell for more once its out of production completely and if its in good condition.) :slight_smile:

You actually make a pretty logical point there about selling the M1 if I don’t care for it.

It’s something to think about. Of course if I think too long… then so much for good advice.

I wouldn’t worry too much about getting an M1 when you’re used to big yoyos.
I have the DM too, but then I decided to buy an M1 as my first metal, and I like it. It feels weird compared to a DM at first, but then I threw the M1 for a week, and then, now I like undersized better. Maybe it’s because it’s metal, but I think the smaller shape also helps.

DV888 is a lot like the DM. Almost a metallic version of it. I think…

BTW, how much are M1s worth once they go out of production?

a DV888 with silicone in it makes for smoother play with the dv but m1 is already smooth but i have a dv even though i would prefer the m1 but the dv is good

Since the M1 is fading into retirement, I’m thinking now between the DV and the BOSS. I hadn’t planned on spending that much but the reviews have been great. So now I’m trying to decide if it’s worth spending the extra.

I’m holding out until Christmas. It’s going to be my present to myself.

I also can’t believe I’m actually considering spending $85 for a yoyo + more string and shipping. Just a few months ago I would have been shocked at spending $10. Interesting how even what should be a cheap hobby can get expensive.

Not that this will matter to anyone but me, but I just pulled the trigger on a new BOSS.

So much for waiting until Christmas, which really was my plan. But I guess it’s ok, they do say Christmas comes earlier every year. This time it happens to be in October. And with that in mind, I suppose I should thank the Great Pumkin.

1. The M1 has a noticeable size difference when compared to a Dark Magic though.

2. They’re worth whatever people are willing to pay for them. It’s difficult to appraise yo-yos.

Gafunka, good choice on the BOSS.