Anyone have a titanium hawk that can give me thoughts?

I’m considering picking one up, but I have had a hard time finding much info.

6 Likes

It was the first Ti I ever had, and it was awesome! Really regret getting rid of it. A bit of a narrower gap that most current responsives, but nothing too detrimental. It was a great EDC throw. Did you have specific questions about it?

3 Likes

Awesome to hear. I might be getting a gold one at a nice price.

Does it grind at all?

Does it float for suicide style tricks?

I have some thinner strings and am pretty precise so it doesn’t sound like that’s an issue

Thank you for any help

2 Likes

It will grind about as good as any other Ti. Unless it’s blasted, then a little better of course. It’s a little dense, so I would not say it’s floaty. You can still hit the tricks of course, but it’s nothing special in that regard.

I would say that it’s nothing special in ANY regard, by which I mean it probably performs a solid 8/10 in all realms of play (saving horizontal which I cannot personally weigh in on, as I value my glasses and lack of head wounds). If you get it for a good price and don’t like it lmk, lol.

4 Likes

Awesome, thank you again and I’ll keep you posted

1 Like

If you want it back shoot me a message anytime. Happy fix those regrets! :wink:

To the OP - Ti Hawk is a really fun compact Titanium, great EDC. If you want something on the smaller side it’s an excellent choice. I wouldn’t say floaty, but it’s definitely not heavy feeling either. I use Normal thickness / fat strings, would probably avoid any of the extra thick ones with it.

6 Likes

How’s the little guy doing? Playing nice with others? Making friends?

1 Like

Far, far too many friends… Cleared out all my yoyo hiding spots storage when I moved and I gotta start downsizing lol. But that’s a story for another topic, maybe a BST purge coming soon. It’s crazy what you accumulate working at a yoyo store for 10 years. :sweat_smile:

10 Likes

I can imagine! — It’s nice to hear from you @YoYoExpertGarrett!!!

1 Like

One of the best reasons ive ever seen for not engaging in horizontal play lol

4 Likes

I’d second pretty much all of the above. Fun little mid-sized titanium. Width is a little more narrow than I’d like, but as a compact yoyo, I’m okay with the trade-off. Definitely not performance-oriented. It’s quite light, so it lacks that satisfying thud, but it’s also no speed demon. Decent all-rounder for just having fun and has a unique enough feel that you may find yourself reaching for it every once in a while just to have a different feel on the string.

1 Like

I much preferred the OG Hawk over the Ti Hawk. Ti Hawk is great and all, but the OG Hawk is the best G2.

3 Likes

I sold one of these as well! Lol.

@kretzschmar I just paid Garrett to send me back the one I sold him three years ago… So I am no longer in the market to buy the gold one if you don’t like it. BUT. I don’t think it would last long in a BST post. Also it’s fantastic.

2 Likes

One of my all time favorites, but the TiVayder is a little better all arounder imo

1 Like

Glad you got yours back homie. I’ll be getting this for dirt cheap so even if I don’t like it, I’ll like it for trade bait. Mint b grade with box, with no vibe and no signs of flaws, 110 shipped

2 Likes

Hahahaha I wouldn’t call my old TiHawk ‘Mint’ by any stretch of the imagination.
It came to me poorly torched, so I beat it up, sparked it, etc. Then I threw it in a Nalgene bottle with a bag of aquarium pebbles and some water, then tossed the bottle in my dryer for about 4 hours to ‘stonewash’ it. Excited to get it back and see if Garrett added any more… character to it, lol.

7 Likes

That actually looks pretty awesome

Dude thats so awesome!! Incredible finish job and its dope you got yours back =]

1 Like

I do remember the first thing I did 3 years ago was spark it right out of the box in the office. I’m sure there’s been some added character over the years since.

5 Likes

I was playing around with this yesterday. I should add that, perhaps due to its relatively slimmer (but not slimline) profile and narrow gap and light weight, it is not the most stable throw. To be fair, it more an issue for me because I struggle with accuracy. BUT I am okay with this. I think as an accuracy-challenging yoyo, it is pretty forgiving and never brutal. It is a lot more fun to use than other unresponsives in the true slimline category — not titanium, but I really, really struggle with the PDX-Yo Phidias, which is another one of those “it’s not you, it’s me” yoyos.

I’m not sure I would strongly recommend this as someone’s one and only titanium. But as part of a diverse portfolio of titaniums, it sits in a nice spot and is worth owning.

(If you end up with a raw and want to trade for a blasted, look me up.)