Anyone else with wrist problems that affect your yo-yo choices?

Anybody else here have wrist issues? Do you find certain specs/shapes weight distributions cause more or less strain?

I have fractured both my wrists very severely and I have osteoporosis from my chemotherapy which makes my wrists more and sensitive as i get older.

I have noticed since starting yoyoing again that both heavier yo-yos and wider shapes with more focused rim weight and less center weight cause more strain during longer sessions. This might inform my yo-yo purchases moving forward.

Anyone else experience similar issues?

3 Likes

Damn man :frowning:

Would it be rude for me to ask what you needed chemo for?

I had testicular cancer and went through chemo myself. Chemo f’ing sucks.

2 Likes

I have broken both my wrists. Long story short my left wrist has a piece of my hip and a plate in it. My left one hurts all the time. If my throw hand was my left I don’t think I could still yoyo.

4 Likes

The Vayder must be a rather nice one to use then

2 Likes

I’ve got carpal tunnel and recurrent tendonitis, exacerbated both by yoyoing and by aikido/iaido. While I definitely didn’t start throwing lighter fixed axle & responsive yo-yo’s because of it, I DEFINITELY notice a difference. It’s way worse when I spend any significant time with 65g+ throws, and it’s way better when I focus on light throws to stalls and flips and stuff. I know Steve Brown has dealt with similar issues for well over a decade.

4 Likes

Yeah I had high risk acute lymphoblastic leukemia in my brain, bone marrow and blood and went through chemo from 11 to 14, and I relapsed when I was 16 and went through treatment until I was 19.

I appreciate you not being like “oh I’m sorry you had to go through that” because I’ve gotten that way too much over the years. It’s like when a tragedy happens and people all tweet their “thoughts and prayers” are with everyone effected. Everyone has their own struggles and trauma. Always nice to hear from someone who knows how much chemo sucks though lol.

2 Likes

I definitely notice it more above 65g for sure. I’ll have to try something heavily rim weighted and a little wider around 63g and see if there’s an issue.

Throws with more even weight distribution are less of an issue.

Yeah the Vayder I could probably throw for hours and not have a big issue.

2 Likes

You keep throwing fruit you’re gonna blow out that other wrist too!

2 Likes