Tips on preventing wrist pain?

I’ve been yoyoing more than before recently and it sometimes leads to my throwing hand’s wrist to hurt a lot, so I end up having to stop yoyoing for a day or two. Any tips on preventing this?

1 Like

Play more modern responsive and fixed axle. These throws tend to be 10-20g lighter than your standard unresponsive.

3 Likes

Be conscious of what you’re doing with your wrist while you play, it’s easy to jerk your wrist in ways it doesn’t want to move while throwing. Also stretch before you throw, and take frequent short breaks. Repeating stretches every hour or two if you’re having an extended session. These are the stretches I personally use, please excuse the resolution of the photo, because I forget where I originally found them. I made a big infographic in the past placing an importance on good posture and habits for a game I used to play. This was part of that.

The moment you feel any pain or soreness while throwing is when you should stop. I think overall it just comes down to being mindful of your wrist posture while throwing, and being attentive to when your body is getting tired and wants to stop. I have zero medical experience though, so don’t take this as absolute advice. It’s just what has worked well for me personally. I think @AKYOYOMIKE is a chiropractor so maybe he can chime in with better advice.

15 Likes

You can also give your dominant hand a break and practice with your non-dominant. This is where responsive play can come in, tricks like planet hops and even stalls can work different muscles and help build up core yo-yo strength.

6 Likes

I would say there is something off in your technique. I throw an hour or so a day every day and use my hands on patients 5-6 hours most days. I have zero hands/ wrist pain. Form is extremely important. There’s a lot more to it as well. Feel free to PM me with specific questions. It’s hard to give generic advice on an forum like this.

6 Likes

Thank you so much for all the information. I’ll be sure to stretch more and be more conscious of my wrist. Also thank you so much for helping me buy from spin gear. I got the yoyo and it’s awesome thank you.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying this too. I think I’ll inevitably be learning how to yoyo with both hands.

2 Likes

What kind of form/movement would you suggest? Focusing on moving the wrist perpendicular to the forearm, without too much extension?

1 Like

I just meant your technique in your throw. You may want to go to a local yoyo club and see if someone can correct your form.

Throw lighter as well.

Hit the gym.

4 Likes

Just cut it out all together…that sort of activity will make you go blind.

My thoughts exactly. That’s why I told my friend to stop yoyoing. She didn’t listen to me. She’s blind from her waist down :pensive:

Just throw softer for a while, and make sure your hands and wrists are loose. Maybe you are learning a new skill and your hands are tense. Shake them out every few minutes, it helps.

This is supposed to help strengthen your hands and wrists. But can you do tricks with it?

3 Likes

Thank you

1 Like