Over 30 yoyo crowd question

So I was really struggling with getting my lawn really dialed in with striping, etc. I don’t wear new balances, prefer to do yard work in flip flops so that might be my first problem. Anyways. I started going circles around my trees first and then mowing straight lines to cover….

Ok now that the kids got bored and left this thread, real question:

Do any of you find your back or neck getting sore when grinding out tricks from looking down at the yoyo/string for potentially hours at a time? More so on breakaway throws but man, the forced bad posture and staring down will leave me feeling tight.

15 Likes

Not so far. But i do a lot of judo and keep moving a lot. Also, if that is the case for you. Change your posture. Practise standing up straight more

8 Likes

I personally do not struggle with getting my lawn lined up nice. I find its one of my all time favorite things to do. I do however, struggle with my planters. Do not think my lawn is indicative of the rest of my landscaping lol.

Neck/shoulder definitely get sore, but more from holding my arms up for extended periods of time. The throwing itself shouldn’t be too hard if your technique is right. Youre more pulling the string out of the yoyo than throwing the yoyo.

18 Likes

When I was learning hooks I found my shoulder would get sore. It doesn’t hurt anymore now so I’ve either just improved my technique or damaged my nerves so much that I can no longer feel pain in that area.

Either way, I land hooks with ease now.

6 Likes

My neck def gets sore, but my hands/wrists are the bigger issue. Carpal Tunnel and Arthritis do not make for long yo-yo sessions.

3 Likes

I have notoriously poor posture to begin with, and had spine surgery a year ago (c6/c7 cut out). I was able to get 40 days snowboarding in with a shortened season, but things still stiffen up quicker.

I started doing Pilates on a reformer to work on core strength, I’ll be mindful of my posture!

2 Likes

Low back feels the stress here. Often if I’m working on a new trick I try to half sit on the side of a table.

8 Likes

Ahh yeah I’ve been real lazy with my lawn this year but it’s green… I also prefer flip flops over tossing on the new balance.

I’ve been going in for physical therapy for my bad back for the last few weeks which has helped but yeah my neck can feel stiff and my back absolutely hates long yoyo sessions. I also get some pain in my throw hand wrist at times.

3 Likes

I definitely get sore in my shoulder from working on big lacerations too and don’t like to work on them for more than a few times a week. Kids are lucky lol

3 Likes

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: no, probably because (a) I don’t play yoyo for long stretches at a time, and (b) I exercise regularly, including lots of stretching of neck and shoulder muscles.

6 Likes

This thread will probably be taken over by the Yoyo Boomers Club.

:joy: :joy: :joy:

5 Likes

When turned 41 i woke up with an inflamed disc at the base of my neck, pinched nerve, pins and needles and numbness in my left index finger from the nreve damage and all that. No clue how, i didn’t fall or lift anything heavy, just got older as i slept and bam. Not a damn thing i could do about it. Sometimes i feel it after a long yoyo session, i just try not to crane my neck as much.

3 Likes

to line a lawn real nice, my go-to is to mow and go over anywhere where a straight line can work (obviously), so this include mowing into trees and then stopping and going to the other side of the tree and continuing, takes a bit of practice. after, i just get the weed whacker and polish up what i missed, think of it like painting with a large and small brush.

source: am mexican, does yard work

3 Likes

I’m 43. My left shoulder, neck, and string finger all get sore after extended throw sessions.

1 Like

When I finally got off Skechers and New Balance and started using Hokas I’ve been walking on clouds ;

However Trippel and even Double hooks give me sharp elbow pain, these younger TikTak kids need to be careful as they might need to get modified Tommy John’s surgeries in the future.

4 Likes

Which ones are these? I’m wearing Bondis. I do still wear New Balances though; they come in wide.

All my major pains are legs and feet; mostly sports injuries. Not usually a problem for yo-yo. It does mean I need to wear sneakers when I otherwise would have worn sandals or work boots though. RIP my collection of Red Wings :cry:

Edit: oh this is a Bondi. I wear a different one, the Bondi 8.

3 Likes

Oh, this thread is too relatable.

Firstly Sketchers: I wouldn’t be seen dead in them last year. Today, I couldn’t live without this first pair. 43

Lawns. Not too worried about the lines. My area of expertise is cable management. I’m a keen holder, flicker and looper of my cable. Probs from Yoyo. But I’ve never ran over a cable yet😎

Never had a issue with endurance, it was always attention. But I have had ongoing issues with back, recently worsened and find a few throws help me ignore the pain. Something else to concentrate on.

2 Likes

Getting old isn’t for wimpy kids. Now get off my lawn……

7 Likes

I’ve been on the Sketcher train for the last couple years. I’ll have to check these out.

1 Like

Hoka’s are fantastic, will not wear anything else. Knee/back is greatly improved.

2 Likes