Over 30 yoyo crowd question

I look for the plushest model’s which I believe Bondi’s are.

2 Likes

I’m 16 I don’t have a lawn to mow but I mow other peoples lawn and I have trouble getting good lines specially when the lawn isn’t a perfect rectangle. And yes my neck lower neck and upper back KILL me if I yoyo for to long. While writing this I just thought that maybe you and I should do stretches’ for back and neck before hand!

5 Likes

My physical therapist was talking about hokas the other day. Are they that great?

1 Like

I mentioned this in another thread, but the hard throws do hurt my shoulder a bit (more discomfort than pain level at this point I’d say). But FAF tricks definitely played a role in some pretty major golfers elbow (pain on the inside of the elbow joint). It’s largely better now, but I can feel it still any time I’m throwing for a while. Especially the harder throws for whips etc.

Everyone has their own preferences, but Hokas have lots of cush

2 Likes

I don’t think I have had that issue so far LOL - but also not yo-yoing for that long of a time in once stretch (which might be the key haha) - I find myself yo-yoing at most in one time about 10min, take a break, then maybe go back to it for another 10min throughout the day - so maybe breaking it up will help your back and neck!

Also when I did yo-yo for longer stretches I was also in middle school/high school so was unaffected by young age by default LOLLOL

Also for shoes - I have been rocking Asics and Brooks! (known for their running shoe styles) but great support for you feet and back! - Will have to look into Hokas lol

10 Likes

I’m almost 40 and I have the occasional finger or wrist fatigue if I’m going especially hard or doing movements I’m not used to. Otherwise, nothing serious. My pain and tension usually come from building things for my kids or carrying my kids or playing with my kids… They keep me active :grin:

Take regular breaks, stretch, and don’t over exert yourself. It’s important to maintain regular physical activity and continue to build muscle as you age. An active body will stay active, an inactive body will stay inactive and will eventually shut down.

Most importantly, remember to hydrate! Water is your friend.

Stay healthy so you can keep yoyoing!

4 Likes

Cant lie, i pretty much destroyed my rotator cuff when learning 4.5 hooks :joy::+1: seems to be doing better now though.

Bad technique = shoulder pain. Good technique = no pain lol

2 Likes

If you’d like to increase your flexibility, joint mobility and prevent injury, this is a 15 minute follow along stretching routine for you whole body.

A lot of neck and back pain stems from tight hamstrings/hip flexors.
This causes a tight back, which causes tight shoulders, which causes tight neck etc.

This is a great place to start and you can reverse damage and prevent any further injury with just a few light stretches.

Hope it helps.

9 Likes

Nope. But I spend my days behind keyboards so I’m probably used to it after all these years.

2 Likes

These are no joke. I gave up practicing these because of it.

I have plantar fasciitis and my Hokas are one of a few shoes that I can wear comfortably without my custom orthotics.

5 Likes

Striping can be be very therapeutic. You should see my carpets! JK, I don’t stripe the carpet.

Anyway, Someone mentioned posture. Maybe you can work on not looking directly at the yo-yo while you play. That comes with experience I guess, but I try not to kink my neck and things stay pretty comfortable for longer sessions. If I’m planted in one spot for too long I guess my feet start to get sore. Then I just remind myself to move around a little more during play.

Ps. I can not try hooks for long. Arms do get extremely fatigued.

10 Likes

Looks like a nice area, having space around is so nice

3 Likes

I mainly get the elbow pain. I’ve had to cool it on the difficult whips for a while.

2 Likes

I can’t stand for long some days due to back pain so yes. Things that help me are anti fatigue mats you can get them for a good deal at Costco and sometimes Amazon. Then you can also use a full size mirror to not need to bend your neck, or your phone on a tripod flipped to face you and use front camera for similar effect. I don’t get the neck issue but my back and knees sure do flare up sometimes.

1 Like

I run a good bit and play disc golf so I have a pair of brooks instead, also a great shoe. I don’t have a lawn though and I have to say it makes me happy to see you all worry about your lawns. It’s a nice reminder to keep life simple and enjoy the small things. Or you can pave over your lawn and get it over with. But also my shoulder was dead after learning hook for the first time. Also I get pain in my fingers if I get too many snap backs in a row. Like yeah crispy binds are satisfying, but crispy bones aren’t. I’m glad we’re not alone.

3 Likes

I will say the physical therapy I’ve been doing for my back to avoid surgery has been doing wonders. Still get a twinge or pain but not nearly as bad

6 Likes

I use a pair of Brooks Adrenaline 21s as my outdoor runners. They have great support!

My back was injured around 8 years ago in a pretty serious car accident and i have arthritis in my hands. Throwing for anything more than 20-30 minutes causes me grief :pensive: so i try to yoyo for 20ish minutes several times a day.

4 Likes