Anyone else not enjoy the dark magic 2?

Sure it was, he complained that it was too responsive and a crummy player. It is neither in my opinion and so stated.

I see where you are coming from, but judging from the number of “what should be my first yoyo” threads we get around here, I don’t think many people just drop $40 on a first throw with out asking the community.

Also, 99% of whether you like a throw or not, is your own preferences more than the throw.
So, for a lot of people it might be the perfect first throw.

I think the mid-wall(maybe high-wall? I never know where to draw that line.) design really aids in learning proper technique and is easier to throw as a first yo-yo in general. The more high performance modern low-wall yo-yos have a tendency to tilt from an improper throw and this can really discourage some beginners. When you throw a Dark Magic 2, or any similar yo-yo, for the first time it tends to do exactly what you expect it to do.

It may not be the yo-yo that more advanced players turn to and I would typically recommend other options for them, but it’s an excellent introductory yo-yo.

1 Like

And the DM 1 is one of the better yoyos that goes from responsive to unresponsive.

How much lube did u use

The Dark Magic is a great yoyo. I bought an original one right after they were released in 2004. I still play it quite often. I look at the early 2000s as a revolutionary time for yoyoing. With throws like the Hitman, Good and Evil, and the stuff Dif-E-Yo was making really helped me step up my game. Previously I was rocking Losi Cherry Bombs and modded Tiger Sharks. I thought the Duncan Freehand was the best yoyo I had ever used when it came out. I think a lot of new players these days start off immediately learning how to bind on super smooth unresponsive yoyos. I thought the Dark Magic was great when it came out because it let me transition from responsive to unresponsive play very easily. It also helped me learn how to bind. I also never understood the whole “vibe” thing. I dont actually know when vibe became an issue to yoyoers (early 2000s?). I might have never actually been aware of vibe until I read the first reviews of the Anti-Yo Fluchs. Anyway a little vibe has never been an issue to me. But then again i learned to yoyo in an era of plastic, narrow gaped, responsive, vibrating yoyos.

2 Likes

I didn’t like the darkmagic 2 that much either. I liked the hybrid response on the original dark magic. Miss those hybrid response throws, so, so good.

I had a Peak for a year or two and I never liked it and so I traded it to someone for two
Duncan Mg’s.

That’s a good trade if I’ve ever heard one

I had a bag of oranges for a week but traded them for 2 bags of apples.

1 Like

The switch from the hybrid response is precisely why I like the DM II. Never cared for hybrid.

Sorry doc, I couldn’t find the ‘anybody else not like the Peak’ thread so I thought I would hi-jack this one.

I purchased a dark magic II and to be honest don’t really use it that much. I also purchased a shutter and it looks, feels, and plays way better. I’m still new to yo-yoing and don’t claim to know that much. I’m getting into tricks like the green triangle and some solid mounts - wrist mount, houdini mount and feel myself progressing quickly. metal yo-yos just have a way better feel in my opinion. i also have a sage from yoyotricks and i like that better than the dark magic. i like the h and w shapes more that the o and organic ones. i am also not that keen on the metal edges of the dark magic. i feel it distracts my eye when playing. light glaring off of it and whatnot. my shutter is purple and is so soothing to look at. longer spin time, super stable, great bearing sound and weight. in anything i do i tend to buy quality things. cameras, yo-yos, etc… no point in buying inferior products, just make end result not as fun and not as enjoyable. I’m not gonna buy a titanium anytime soon. but you get the idea. it all comes down to personal taste, style, goals etc.

:-\

One of my first unresponsive yoyos was the dm2. I loved it then. It was kinda like the shutter was to most for me. I out grew it and now have many more I would rather play. I still like playing with it, but only in its responsive form :slight_smile:

1 Like

People just need to realize the Dark Magic is a little outdated. It was one of the best yoyos you could get when the original came out.

The Shutter’s popularity is still nothing compared to the Dark Magic’s in its prime.

It might not be the best yoyo nowadays but there are very few yoyos that can or have surpassed the legacy that the Dark Magic has.

1 Like

Good ole DM2. I remeber when it came out i first saw it at one of thoughs kiosk deals in a mall in Dallas TX. It was the darned bees knees then man. It sat up on top of all the others in the case. I do remeber that much. Iv played with it so much back then, that now its beat up bad. I loved it then. Ill keep in my collection forever.

2 Likes