Anyone else enjoy the Duncan Butterfly?

1 Like

I enjoy my three wood sparkle butterfly’s and I enjoyed them when I was a kid, in the 50’s.

1 Like
4 Likes

I have a few. I like the wooden Butterflies and the earliest plastics best. The earliest plastics are the heaviest, in my experience, and very good players (though Duncan Wheels FTW!). The plastics from about 20 years ago are lighter the the oldest plastics, but not as light as the most recent ones. But you can still do a trick or two with the new ones …

5 Likes

I agree completely! BTW, Great Vid’s.

1 Like

I have an orange one from the early 80’s, unopened. Is it a good one, worth the unboxing?

1 Like

I’ve worn out many a butterfly. I’ve never had one that I didn’t have fun with.

1 Like

I actually just opened one myself, orange also. Play value outweighs resale value for me

1 Like

That’s what I figure, so if it’s better than the standard trans blue one I have from the 2000’s I’ll give it a shot.

1 Like

It’s definitely a different animal and worth throwing if you’ve never thrown one from that era

1 Like

Maybe you reassembled them with a slightly smaller gap.

I think the Butterfly is an all time great. It’s different, and that’s in large part why it’s so divisive. Many argue that it’s too light, and basically obsolete, but the videos just posted speak volumes for how much fun they can be!

1 Like

Threw a butterfly that someone brought to a show on Saturday in Albuquerque, NM. It was fun. I went through a few tricks with it including shoot the moon.  Then gave it back to him along with a free MagicYoYo N8 & poster.  I recommended learning everything he could with the butterfly and then start experimenting with the non-responsive. I think butterfly is a fun one to throw.  The Wheels series is the best since the butterflies have a little more weight.  The following trick was created with a Duncan Wheel butterfly from the 90’s.

6 Likes

Nice!

I like the wheels too, but they always come apart on me. ???

1 Like

Thanks!

The sides coming apart is something that I’ve ran into with the regular butterfly yo-yos. This old Duncan has held up well since the 90’s. I am very careful of what tricks when using someone else’s butterfly so I don’t have the sides come apart. They can’t handle hard throws.

The best looking Duncan butterfly I’ve ran across was one that a new thrower brought to a yo-yo workshop. It was a yellow (1 side) and white (1 side) butterfly from the 60’s or 70’s which is a really great looking vintage throw.

Side note: Ben Conde won the fixed axle contest at the 2013 WYYC with a Duncan butterfly.

3 Likes