Anybody tried the 000?

It may be that you end up just happily keeping the yo-yo, but at least this way Jeffrey knows about it, and you’ll get some kind of answer.

I’ll be sure to let you know how mine is!

5 Likes

Mine’s vibey also. But I have the pink 000.

2 Likes

In general, I believe people tend to feel very differently about vibe. I find my 000 to be pretty smooth, but from what I’ve read, that might be purely subjective. I tried uploading a video here, so you and others can compare, but unfortunately we can only upload pictures. If it’s very “vibey,” as you seem to think, that’s definitely not normal. But like others have said, titaniums tend to have some vibe.

If you’d like, I could send you the video I recorded. Just send me a private message with your email address.

4 Likes

he emailed me back saying that more often than not, non-raw titanium will have some degree of vibe, but that whether it is string or nail is kind of a toss up. although it is definitely weird to me that i had to email him to get that info, and that he wouldn’t just put it up on his website as a disclaimer kind of thing like most other manufacturers do. is your 000 a raw or a coated one?

4 Likes

He certainly could’ve had that information on his page, yes. I suppose it’s because most people expect to get a little bit of vibe with their titaniums that he neglected to do so. I was never really concerned about vibe. I appreciate a smooth yo-yo like everyone else. Yet I find smoothness to be one of the most overrated qualities a yo-yo can have.

When you’re paying that much money for a spinning toy, however, you’re definitely entitled to a premium quality product. So, I can definitely understand your disappointment in this matter. Having a disclaimer could have easily solved that problem. Perhaps, he will add one in the future.

I have the AMS, and while it’s not dead smooth, it doesn’t seem to have what I’d call a “vibe.” Maybe that’s because I’m lucky or maybe I don’t really care about vibe. I’m not sure.

Now, if it’s affecting performance, you should definitely return it. Coated or non-coated, there’s no excuse for something like that. Otherwise, I think you’ll forget about vibe as you play. I think, it’s a pretty good organic yo-yo, at least one of the best I’ve tried.

8 Likes

You should share this in the unpopular yoyo opinion thread!

6 Likes

On average, 1 in 4 of my wooden unresponsives come out right. Sometimes I may have four in a row turn out fine, but this is rare.

Wooden runs are an even bigger nightmare than metal.

8 Likes

I really like organic yoyos, but I’m not so sure I’d pay $300 for one :thinking:.

If I pay that much, I want pure performance.

5 Likes

Hahaha! I actually thought about it, but I chickened out. :rofl:

Edit: You know what? I’ll do it. They’ve gone a little off topic there. :wink:

5 Likes

Yeah, but I’m not really interested in another pure performance yo-yo. You could argue that there is no need for such a costly yo-yo, then. However, I’m hoping to enjoy some of the other qualities: the AMS finish, the bell like tone, an organic with extra horsepower.

Also, I share @WickerWraith 's sentiment of supporting cool people doing cool things.

4 Likes

So this yoyo is confusing me. From what I see the weight distribution is as even as possible.

That begs the question; why use titanium for the material?

Also, how about those sharp edges?.. Hurting, anyone?

4 Likes

no, actually. the edges are on the outside and its fairly large, so your fingers almost never even go close to them. and then the weight distribution is only relevant after you actually have the weight right. and if you were to change the material, you’d have a weight that’s too low, therefore requiring you to change the profile, therefore changing the weight distribution.

3 Likes

Hmmm… :thinking:

Yeah. Not convinced.

3 Likes

Hang on… Are you kidding?

There hasn’t been a single yoyo I’ve played where my fingers don’t go near the edges…

1 Like

Incorrect. If you just walk around holding the yoyo; possibly?

But when the yoyo is in play; there are many opportunities to ‘come in contact’ with the edges of the rims.

Jeffrey was going for the minimalistic design. As he said, ‘Clean the slate and start over’.

As an ingredient of the minimal mode; not rounding the edges was deliberate so as to keep with the ‘theme’ of the yoyo design.

Kinda like when the Movado watch first came out many, many years ago: 2 hands, black face, no numbers. Just one small diamond. Simple …

The 000 is straight forward simple.

I feel Jeffrey May have been a little too successful in achieving his back to basics vision.

The outer edges of the 000 are way too edgy. Almost sharp. Your face and knuckles’ new best enemy.

May mean nothing to you now. But you will have a better understanding; when your luck runs out and you meet those edges at the point of impact. Don’t get me wrong. Any yoyo can give you a knuckle sandwich.

But the 000 is ‘in that special group’. It’s part of the, ‘Wow; I didn’t realize how much that would actually hurt’ group.:scream_cat:

I made a post years ago… it was called the Yoyo comfort Squeeze test. What you do is get a sharp edged yoyo in one hand. Get a similar size yoyo; minus the sharp edges in the other. Squeeze both yoyos in your hands; like you are trying to dent a doorknob. Hold the pressure for about 15 seconds. Sit the yoyos down and immediately look at the palms of your hands.

The ‘edgy’ yoyo will actually leave very deep lines in your palm. The rounder yoyo won’t.

Even though it would have slightly strayed away from Jeffreys’ minimalist theme; I don’t think the edges should have made it into the final design.

The edges should have been relieved in the proto stage.

When I used to lecture on Car Painting; the very first thing I would say upon entering the Classroom was, ‘Anything short of doing something right; is doing it wrong. It’s not what you do that helps you as much as what you don’t do; will come back to haunt you’.

I will do the squeeze test; using a 000 in my left hand and an Akita(a much better yoyo at less than half the price) and add the images to this post.

When in doubt; round it out…

PS… please understand that it took me 15 seconds of squeezing to get the results you see above. But if(hopefully not) you smack yourself in the head or knuckles(at speed) your results will appear much faster immediately after impact🙀.

Hey; it’s a fun yoyo to throw. It just has some UFC cage match potential built right into it😳

11 Likes

Well said, to me this is filed under “doing things in an old school way just to be old school… ain’t necessarily the best approach to design”. I was already concerned when I saw no response bump and exaggerated organic layout. To me this one is more of an art project.

4 Likes

A very unnecessarily expensive art project. Seriously, an even weighted titanium yoyo?

Rather a wasted use of titanium.

I don’t mean that the yoyo is bad or anything, it would play very nicely, I just mean that from a weigh distribution perspective, titanium wasn’t necessary.

5 Likes

It does not have an even weight distribution. Vibe is irrelevant af especially fingernaik vibe. Drive me crazy that people get upset about fingernail vibe it dosent matter…both my 000 the raw and the ultramatte are 100% worth it. I feel it was made for people like me who love yoyo sounds n just wanted a premium yoyo that could withstand edc abuse.titanium actually interacts with string diffrent and the string grips to walls a little different then aluminum making for more control on binds and being able to stall yoyo during slow rpm play.plus it will last for years n years. Not to mention i like supporting artist I admire. Smooth on the string is all that matters n that is also irrelevant to me because it dosent effect play and feels.if you dont like fingernail vibe dont put your fingernails on it. But just my opinion love you guys :heart::blush::vulcan_salute:

10 Likes

Thia design would not have been possible on aluminum the walls get extremely thin on this jojo. Yoyoing is personal preference one kf my favorite parts os no smooth groove. Mine might have fingernail vibe but idk because im to busy shredding instead of holding my fingernail to a yoyo

9 Likes

yeah, i agree about the fingernail vibe thing, but if it has any kind of string vibe, then i notice it. and the yoyo has just a little bit of string vibe, which irritates me even more than if it had more vibe, because i keep thinking i can tune it because its so little, then i go full OCD on it for like 3 hours, and the end result is still just as vibey.

4 Likes