Any knife guys?

Almost certainly from Nagao Seisakusho.
Only Nagao is legally allowed to make true “Higonokami” with the inscription on the handle. There are several similar knives made by makers which are holdovers from the original guilds in the 19tb century but Nagao was the one which emerged as the official holder of the “brand”.

And yeah the blue paper steel is really outstanding.

Edit: The engraving on the blade indicates the kind of steel it is (i.e. warikomi - blue paper steel) and the handle reads “Touroku-shouhyou Higonokami Sada-Kanekoma” - basically (4 small kanji) “registered trademark” (big kanji) Higonokami, blacksmith: KaneKoma (the name of the Nagao company factory).

6 Likes

Thanks for the info! My wife bought it for me years ago and just described it as a “carpenters knife”. I had to tighten the rivet slightly because it used to keep swinging open in my pocket.

I keep saying I’ll make a leather sheathe for it, someday.

4 Likes

I usually carry mine on a little paracord line attached to my belt loop just to keep it from banging around.

If the hinge is loose, you can use an elastic band to keep it closed in your pocket. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

The real question here is who wants to trade Q a knife for a throw. Cause you guys convinced me.I need one

6 Likes

I’m in love with my little Gerber Dime.

Works very well for this hobby!

9 Likes

The Dime is a good tool, I had one, that, I believe was sacrificed to TSA.

7 Likes

Not a “knife guy” but had to pop my head in to say that at a glance at the topic in the forum I first saw “knife any guys?” Tooooootally different topic.

6 Likes

I have a black Gerber Dime and I love it!

4 Likes

the gerber dime is actually awesome, and the black one looks good with some wear, i keep on on my keys

5 Likes

that would be a very different topic, but, would likely show who the real ‘bad boys’ of yoyo are :slight_smile:

7 Likes

well do that one next week

3 Likes

One more, it’s a custom Emerson mini cqc7.
Emerson’s are made for hard use and I’ve yet to break one!

8 Likes

Fan of traditional knives I carry a Reese Bose Wharncliff trapper. Cannot beat the quality of workmanship. It will clean a trout or quail with ease. Carry it in an Arne Mason pocket sheath

7 Likes

Always wanted a custom Emerson but never was able to hit shows where they were raffled. I do love both my cqc-7 and my cqc-15 though

4 Likes

Don’t get me started on knives. I EDC and my favorite piece of kit is a knife. It’s a simple but effective piece of man jewelry, I mean equipment. Honestly though, working retail, a knife has saved me more than once.

I’ve had everything from a knife I bought for a penny from the dollar store to multiple Chris Reeves and one amazing Warren Osborne custom from the 80’s. 90’s maybe. Whichever it was I miss that blade.

Current favorite is the Spyderco Para 3, the knife so nice I got it twice. Can’t beat it for me. Man I miss my large Insingo Inkosi though. Oh and always a Leatherman, either a Wave or recently a Free P4.

7 Likes

I had an early stag horn Osborne that I traded for a Ken Onion custom packrat… the onion was the hot thing at the time but boy how I regret that trade in hindsight.

3 Likes

Spyderco makes great knives for their price point. I have a couple, para 2 and matrix.

Personally, once I bought My first Chris Reeve and felt the difference in quality compared to benchmade or sypderco, it’s hard to go back to them.

Chris reeve makes beautiful knives and are cheap for what they are. You can get a small sebenza for about $400 and will have that knife for the rest of your life

4 Likes

I wish I’d never sold that blade. It’s amazing. The price is a little up there for me but I mean the warranty alone can cover it. That’s service is amazing.

2 Likes

I send my Chris reeves in every couple years for a “tune up”. I literally get a brand new knife back for the cost of the “small parts”.
I think They replaced the washers and pivot pin for like $15
So for $25, The reblasted the handles, sharpen, tuned and replaced the washers.

Oh and they replace the lanyard too! I always Take them off! Haha

6 Likes

Also like the para 3. A nice size knife.

4 Likes