Any knife guys?

I have a Rough Ryder seahorse whittler with the carbon steel and a victorinox hiker. I was thinking about modding the small blade on the SAK but it works just fine for my lack of skills/time to actually learn to do more than make sticks sharp

Do they still make these or is it all eBay aftermarket prices now?

Found these old pics from way back in 2020 after getting my first pocket whittling knife.

10 Likes

In Damascus.

1 Like

Why Damascus? Isnā€™t that just for show?

2 Likes

It looks sweet, honestly isnā€™t the best choice for blades in my opinion, itā€™s probably fine for small blades though such as a whittling knife.
Edit: very good strong Damascus that has been made right is hard to find, but it is out there. There are a lot of excellent chefs knives that are Damascus, I wouldnā€™t choose it for a hard use knife though like a field knife .

Itā€™s actually a tougher blade. It hits a little harder on the Rockwell. Also I have a very bad Damascus habit. All my professional knives are 10ā€ and Damascus.

1 Like

I get the folded nickel on the Kramer knives since it adds heft to the chopping blade. But to me; modern ā€œDamascusā€ steel is just pretty to look at. Isnā€™t it just two steals folded together? Unless the two steels are the same it seems the blade will wear unevenly and not hold an edge under use. I would think this would be an issue for a whittler.

1 Like

The idea is that your folding a sharp soft steel with a hard outer layer to protect the softer inner layer. Itā€™s One of those things that looks good as itā€™s doing its job.
And as soon as I get my hands on one Iā€™ll let you know the verdict. Also as long as the carbides are evenly distributed and of a finer (I.e. small) size you should have no problem keeping it sharp. Itā€™s the carbides that actually make an edge sharp so the more of them you have available the better the edge.

Made better by sending it to Tom Krein for a regrind :grin:

GEC Pocket Carver! Great first whittling knife. I had a smooth bone handled Pocket Carver for some time. I had the main blade reground by Tom (above).

4 Likes

I agree. Specialized whittling tools are the best. I was only saying the Case Seahorse is hard to beat for an all-around knife/whittler.

3 Likes

You canā€™t really beat it in my eyes. The seahorse shape and a solid swayback are my favorites.

1 Like

Can someone DM me some info on where to find a instock pocet whittling knife.

These last few posts have me curious.

A lot of the whittling I have done is more Buschcraft, Try Stick or needed camping item I forgotā€¦

1 Like

Case used to make a whittling Jack, try that. Or just spend 80$ and get the seahorse.

Rockler always seems to have the Flexcut pocket whittling knifes in stock whenever I go. But they donā€™t look nearly as nice and are basically the same price depending on model.

Did he reshape the blade or just give the edge more of a gradual taper?

The shape stays the same. He thins it a bit. From the edge to the spine. Itā€™s a razor when heā€™s done.

Here is my Schrade Warren 1 that Tom did for me.

6 Likes

This chat is making me want to get a fancier pocket whittling knife. Everyone I work with carries very tactical blades. Would be awesome to whip out something classy.

3 Likes

seiko is fire. im rocking SRPJ45

Variety is the spice of life. I can go from my Chaves 229 kick stop to my case mini copperhead in the same day if you let me.