Any hobby that you totally failed at?

there’s ‘house stuff’ i can do, some i can do
quite competently. others, not so much, and others i hate - painting is a combination of the latter (along with hanging drapes and effin ceiling fans).

to
this day i still can’t get painters tape to work right for
me… it either sticks
too much, leaks behind, leaves bits… my wife is a much better painter than me. but i got hella eye for it

2 Likes

Mark me down as a third who can’t paint a wall to save their life! To be fair I can’t draw either! Aside from cooking I’m not too stellar at anything! I would love to learn how to draw, or paint for that matter.

2 Likes

Not sure if they count as hobbies but Im pretty terrible at most ball sports (especially soccer and basketball) despite being athletic most of my life. I also suck at shooting handguns

1 Like

:mushroom: Mushroom Growing :mushroom:

Bought the whole setup, spores, mycelium, etc. All I could ever grow was mold and fruit flies…:disappointed:

5 Likes

I don’t think anyone here has technically failed at any hobby, as all hobbies, like yoyoing, can take quite an extended period of time (sometimes years) to become proficient in our own eyes as well as the eyes of others. The title of this thread should be “What hobby have you given up on before becoming good?” Peace out.

4 Likes

Yeah I used to fly with a guy who actually did lose about 2 1/2 fingers from the same thing. Plane was idling, 40% size plane, he went to kneel down in front of it and as soon as his knee hit the ground he bumped the throttle all the way up. After a few rotations of whacking his hand, the prop broke and the engine shut off. Pretty chaotic scene when it happened but boy did it make for years of jokes at his expense :rofl:

4 Likes

When I finish painting the house, I can simply close a door and all the paint just falls off and hits the ground! I’m just that good.

3 Likes

those prop stories are terrifying…

when i moved to florida 10-11 years ago i refused (and still do) to ever go on an airboat ride… “deathtraps!” i’ll
retort anytime my wife will
even say the word ‘airboat’ (along with ‘trampoline’, ‘rope-swing’, and ‘cruise’).

my penchant for safety was
reinforced years later when a my met a
workmate, a longtime airboat owner, who had to have his hand reconstructed from
an accidental airboat fan blade incident.

3 Likes

Ziplining is big up here in the Pocono Mountains.

3 Likes

Ziplining is fun, but to be honest, not nearly as exciting as I had hoped.

2 Likes

Japanese diablo. it wouldnt be so bad if there was some kind of tutorial for how to do it, but there isnt. not that i know of. trying to learn diablo right now is kind of like trying to learn how to yoyo by watching gentry stein’s winning worlds routines. over, and over, and over again. its pretty irksome.

1 Like

That is something I have wanted to try ever since I watched a Cirque du Soleil DVD of a group performing. It looked like a lot of fun with giant flying yoyos.

What do you mean though? Is it like, you can’t even throw a sleeper or you can’t do massive combos? haha I feel like I kinda really suck compared to the badasses on here but I like getting better even if its slow. HOWEVER if you put the number of tricks I have compared to the money… it is prettttttty not good haha

2 Likes

oh. I like to compete so I feel as if I’m never gonna be an Evan. I do create my own long combos though. They’re ok. like a 3 or 4/10.

2 Likes

Old thread I’m bringing back.

Building drones was getting pretty expensive very quickly. Rebuilt one after a crash only for an unknowingly cracked arm to break in half during the first flight after the rebuild. Nothing like spending 400 dollars only to have to spend 800 dollars immediately after to convince you to do something else. Not to mention the hours and hours of time. Car projects are more expensive but at least you get a cool car out of that lol.

4 Likes

I once wanted to get into the competitive staring contest scene. I practiced for hours staring into a mirror, but I quit after a couple of months because I never could get my reflection to blink first.

1 Like

Yoyo and Guitar…

But I haven’t failed yet, I’m still learning.

1 Like

I started learning Go in 2019 but ultimately never made the jump from a 9x9 to a 19x19 board because I’m a pathetic little worm.

1 Like

I find painting a room is something you get good at when it’s almost near completion. If you did another it will be better.

1 Like

Motorcycle stunt riding. 6 months in and i broke my leg and back already doing wheelies :upside_down_face::sweat_smile:
Even though i can do a wheelie for over a mile now, id still say i failed with this one :rofl:

2 Likes