Any fans of bourbon? Adults only please

That is a trip for sure. Back then Pappy, Elmer, wWeller, etc were just sitting on the shelf at MSRP.

I just had a Publix chicken tender sub, it paired nicely with my route 44 sonic coke with VOB 100 in it, lol. Really brought out the flavors.

My dad got this as a Christmas present from a co-worker :open_mouth:

He’s saving it for Christmas, will be interesting to compare to the bottle I got him back in the middle of June (some sort of limited release, it’s down in the basement and I haven’t seen it in almost six months ha)

3 Likes

Eh taylor I always thought was the hidden gem of the Buffalo trace line up. Prior to the bourbon boom it was everywhere and slept on by so many, and that is a darn shame. Fine fine spirit

2 Likes

Some Old Grandad 114 showed up, grabbed the last bottle. Basil Hayden cask strength I’ve been told for $27 a bottle. Grabbed some Knob Creek 100 too with the glasses. Nice part with ice, sip and savor while it melts. You’ll find the dilution you like best somewhere down the line!

4 Likes

Awesome choices!

Taking my Dad his gift tonight, Makers Cask Strength with a couple vintage Makers Mark glasses. Not gonna post pics as I’m sure I did somewhere up this chain, lol.

He normally tosses me a bottle as well. Last year was a half gallon of Weller SR. It was delicious. Extreme Weller shortage around here this year so if he gives me something, I’m clueless as to what it’ll be.

Hope he doesn’t crack that bottle tonight because if he does, it might be the second time I’ve been drunk in 15 years, lol.

2 Likes

Compare/contrast.

4 Likes

Favorites right now prior to doing blinds.

Evan Williams 12 year
1792 full proof
Jack Daniels 10 year
Old forester statesman

4 Likes

Wish I could get my hands on some Red Label Evan Williams. I bet it is absolutely delicious. You have good taste. The White Label is a staple for me.

:rofl:

Edit:
If you want crystal clear ice, use a small cooler and freeze in it. Just put the cooler in the freezer. You can use molds this way too, inside of a cooler. The boiling water trick/info doesn’t matter, it’s the slow top down freeze that creates clear ice.

You can do big blocks this way and carve down into shapes! It’s fun. Or buy an ice press which are overly expensive imho. Maybe @da5id should make some? Yoyo’s of ice. Nice.

3 Likes

I wish our freezer could hold a cooler.

They have it at my local shop, but it’s $200.

Even in the cooler, the bottom of the cubes will have the imperfections won’t they? Instead of the middle

I haven’t bothered doing any research because our freezer is always too packed with easy prep kid meal materials and other needs, but cocktail friends have mentioned “directional ice” or “directional freezing” and said that you have to chip off some of the ice that didn’t come out clear (not sure if it was at the bottom or sides). I think they freeze a large block by just putting water in a cooler inside the freezer and then break it up for drinks.

I got a set up for Xmas. Bottom of the cube molded have holes to go into another reservoir below it. The whole thing fits in a foam type cooler with the top open to freeze top down.

Big set up just four some clear cubes lol

1 Like

Some molds did have cloudy bases, others did not. Not sure why. The fun part with just doing a big block is you chip off and cloudy bits and then cut to size(s) and store those for later use.

Like the kit you mentioned, it’s a lot for 4 cubes. I had one that did 6 but for the effort, I ended up just chopping down a big block. Then you can do tall rectangles and fat cubes for different glasses too.

I have a silicone tray of Rick and Morty, but clear ice does not show all the details. Even white/cloudy ice doesn’t really show them off well.

1 Like

How easy is it to cut the ice? Special I’ve saw?

@G2_Jake I saw a bottle of Blanton’s in that Night Fury Banshee reveal, where are you finding that in Ohio??

I was hunting all summer. I know the truck days for my local stores and I think this was actually from one of the first weeks of the giant Eagle Saturday morning drops. The first few weeks only had a couple ppl lining up a half hour early.

Now they start before the grocery store even opens. Hours before the liquor department to get in line.

I’ve given up the last 2 months and don’t even go for the allocated.

1 Like

You got lucky! I’ve given up at my local stores too. Crazy how difficult stuff is to find when the distilleries are only two hours away. I don’t even bother asking if they have any allocated bottles anymore. Do you ever get down to Jungle Jim’s? Decent selection their for bourbon and scotch.

If you are going to make the trek to jungles, you may as well add the extra 30-40 mins and check party source while you are there

1 Like