Any fans of bourbon? Adults only please

She is so beautiful. Use Mellow Corn to make a Bloody Mary and it’ll blow your mind.

4 Likes

Just finished a bottle tonight. $20 a liter in Ohio. Crazy

2 Likes

I remember moving to Louisville for a contract and seeing my 1st Liquor Barn. Literally the size of a Walmart but for booze!

Used to hate tomato juice until mixing some Bloody Mary’s. Now store bought mixes are pretty good. Tequila is good too. I’ve smoked peppercorns and jalapeno peppers for adding to the mix. You can make a meal with em too. :rofl:

Edit: I’m just going to paste post/images from another thread I finally found.

I’ve dabbled with whisky and scotch. More so until allocation ruined availability.

Favorite two ryes.

Some antique.

Scotch was really Ardbeg Uigeadail after the 2009 whisky of the year award. Searched all over for the lot #'s on that one. Then again in 2011 with Corryvreckan. The batches have changed and not the same unfortunately. Old Forester birthday bourbon was great certain years and Elmer T Lee birthday was really good too.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

. . . . . . .
Can’t believe I left off an absolute favorite! Laphroaig cask strength. Been a favorite for over a decade. Always good! Really don’t even like anything below 100proof these days. Also love Talisker 10 or 18! You have to know the cayanne backend burn is there on purpose, as many think its cheap alcohol heat. It’s not. It’s the back bone to Johnny Walker black which I also like. If you want to drink a better scotch and cheaper than Blue label, try the Dalmore Cigar malt.

Can’t say the same for the Highland Park 18. Quit drinking it from bad batches. The last bottle I had was 2019 and not a hint of smoke or anything but hot trash. Pic in the ZT knife photo in the other thread.

Quit buying any Cheiftan blends too. Way to easy to spend $150-$200 on a bad bottle. They go buy ‘exclusive’ barrels from companies and have a ‘master’ mix them. The real story is they go buy the cheapest ‘off’ barrels from big names and blend them however they want and hype it. Most we’ve had were basic to trash. This was a good bottle.

Some of Ardbeg’s Limited releases have been good, many were young and hot with a splash of old stock for some complexity. i.e., not worth it imho.

That’s what’s ruined the last several years of even their standard blends like Ugge and Corry. All the old 20-25yr stock is gone or so low they barely use it. They are not near the same as they were.

Lagavulin 16 is alwasy consistent and good but what we’ve called the Honda of Scotch. So smooth and refined, it’s lost some character. Still one they start you on.

We waited and went though many before Islay as we read and were told, it’s a BIG flavor. Wish we never waited. They are our absolute favorites!
Highlands next as we liked Balvenie’s 12-15yr. The Glenmorangie Astar was great and brought back in 2019! A high proof (117) stellar Highland. The Glenmorangie Sonnalta PX had an amazing finish in Pedro Ximénez Sherry cask! Can’t recommend either enough.

Smokehead is a brash youngster that’s fun to drink and priced right.

Never liked Bowmore 12-18yr. Smelled and taste like my grandma’s old bandaid’s.

This is off the top of my head. Sorry so short. :rofl:

5 Likes

Had some Blanton’s that I enjoyed awhile back, but it’s a pain to get. Been drinking BBA Stouts for a while, but I’m pretty intrigued by Japanese Whiskey based on the reviews.

What say the brothers? Excellent post. Thank the og.
I own a square foot of the Island of Islay. That’s from Laphroaig. They pay me a pint a year for the privilege. That’s very nice.

2 Likes

I love you Man. Thanks Sir.

Excellent!!! Love the glasses!

1 Like

So yeah, probably gonna end up with some more dings tonight, lol. JW Dant mixed with a vanilla coke paired with the End

5 Likes

Alcohol is a yoyo’s natural enemy

4 Likes

My favorites are Four Roses, Angel’s Envy, Jefferson’s, and Basil Hayden’s. Buffalo Trace as well. Love trying new stuff and hearing about new ones to try.

8 Likes

I didn’t know bother, I love you even more. Kinopath is Smoooooth. Nuff said.

2 Likes

I met kinopah only once, At Nats with master Brown, good times!

ed, if you like Basil Hayden, save some cash and try Old Grand Dad, same distillery, same mashbill.

The 80 proof Old Grand Dad will be so close to the Basil Hayden you wouldn’t be able to tell in a blind taste test and it costs a fraction of the price.

My personal recommendation, skip the 80 proof OGD and get the OGB BIB (100 proof) and mix it with coke.

Apologies for sounding like a rep for Old Grand Dad over here, but it’s just that good.

Fun fact: The old man pictured on the bottle of Old Grand Dad is Basil Hayden

8 Likes

I drink as much as I smoke, about twice a year haha. But when I drink it’s usually a glass of whiskey or a high ball with some Grand Marnier. Kinda sucks because there’s a lot of flavors I want to try but I don’t drink enough to try them all. And if I did I’d probably get so plastered I’d try my hand at 5A and no one wants to see how dangerous I’d be to myself at that point.

2 Likes

Yep, one of my local spots had CASES of Pappy sitting year round. They did a barrel select one year and seriously thought it was going to end up putting them out of business. They had a barrel select for Old Rip, Special Reserve and 15 year Pappy and it took them nearly 2 years to sell it all. You could get 15 year at a local spot year round for about $40-50. I remember thinking that a was ridiculous price for a bourbon :rofl:

The Weller’s were pretty much a bottom shelf pick too at that time. Boy how times change.

3 Likes

Four Roses is another favorite. Especially love when shops get barrel picks and you can get specific mash bills. They’re one of the consistently solid companies out there.

Anyone into bottle shares. We’ve got a group near me that we all swap a 2-4oz bottle of whatever we get with each other. I’ve gotten to try some things that are super rare because of it. Highly suggest talking to others in your area about starting one if not.

3 Likes

Eagle Rare is what I reach for most of the time. It’s the right price for what I want to spend on a bottle of bourbon, and damn is it good.
Recently I picked up a bottle of Redbreast 12 years Irish Whiskey on a whim. A really pleasant whiskey and something I’m digging so far.

2 Likes

Anything mixed with coke is GROSS.

5 Likes

I’m not a whiskey expert, but I’ve had my fair share. Bulleit is what I usually grab. Not the rye but the bourbon (the orange label instead of the green). It’s cheap enough and smooth enough for my taste. I’m sipping on some right now!

If I’m looking for something cheap as possible I go with the Alberta Premium rye whisky. For the price it can’t be beat.

2 Likes

Just solidifying the French’s hero status now.

2 Likes